Disappointed - VirusHeat not found

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by pbparker, Mar 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pbparker

pbparker Registered Member

I've been a big supporter of the ewido/AVG product, and really told people to buy it, however a friend just brought his laptop in infected with the VirusHeat trojan.

I put AVG 7.5 on it and it finds not a single thing. I then tried 3 other cheaper products and they ALL found it and were ready to remove the files and registry chunks.

I can't in good faith recommend the product to my friend when it can't even find the infection he needed me to remove in the first place. Sorry, but I need to find something that I can rely upon for the latest stuff flying around.

2. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

A general comment, every application has instances where it encounters new, unknown malware. No application knows them all. This is why you, who find them :) , submit them to vendor.

If you want to be able to recommend a program w/100% detection rate to your friend, I hate to disappoint you. There is no such thing.

Peace.

Edit: grammar

3. pbparker

pbparker Registered Member

I'll agree that it can't find everything, but it's unfortunate that every other application either found it or found and removed it.

It's all a mute point anyways since I just dumped AVG and went to a competitor (I won't name it since this post would likely then get deleted). I tried out the new 8.0 product, but it's waaay bloated and a huge memory hog.

I like the idea of AV/Spyware combined, but the rest needs to be optional - and needs to carry a light memory footprint if I decide to disable all the non-critical functions.

4. blueoysterdvp

blueoysterdvp Registered Member

That's the kind of customer insight I'm looking for.I want to hear different points of view about the transition kinks and any info that will help me make the decision to go 8.0,or just go_Of course I'll stay with 7.5 until the updates stop at the end of the year if I decide to stay with my current AV.

ewido and AVGAS have been too much of an important part of my system to just dump it without carefully analyzing this.

I know what you mean about posts getting deleted!:D

5. kodl

kodl Registered Member

Only a short comment - if you choose the AVG AntiVirus only (so the base line product only) in version 8, there is no firewall, anti-spam and similar 'suite' functions in it. So you have the requested anti-virus and anti-spyware functionality.

6. splinter hell

splinter hell Registered Member

Try A-squared free, seems to have more signatures in its database than Avg or counter spy which provides best in class protection.

7. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Are you sure it's malware and not a false positive ? Which object is called a trojan ? You didn't mention it.

8. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

From my experience, AVGAS is only worth as Trojan/Backdoor finder.

9. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

I would like to add in defense that there usually is a triple-check before anyone adds a (possible) competitor to their detections.
    Obviously this is done to avoid time- and money-consuming lawsuits.

I would recommend using SmitFraud-fix:
    http://siri.geekstogo.com/SmitfraudFix.php
    in the cases where you are confrontred with questionable software posing as malware removers.
    S!Ri is usually first on the ball. :)

Regards,

Pieter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.