Disabling Protection Temporarily

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by CrookedBloke, Oct 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrookedBloke

CrookedBloke Registered Member

I was certain that I saw something about this mentioned in a thread somewhere, but I can't find the information with the forum search tool.

Here's the story:

I use NOD32 3.0 RC1 under Vista Business. Looking forward to the final release.

I must use a Check Point Connectra VPN to connect to a client's infrastructure so I can administer some of his systems remotely. That VPN requires me to use one from a list of anti-virus software programs. I chose CA's least intrusive package as being the least obnoxious choice.

I run NOD32 at all times, and have the CA antivirus software disabled. I have to enable the CA antivirus real-time protection in order to log on to the stupid VPN.

How do I temporarily disable all real-time protection in NOD32? It only lets me turn off Web threat scanning, but not real time file protection. And, believe me, I have to turn off the NOD32 real-time protection before enabling the CA real-time protection. I tried running them together just once, and it resulted in the only system lock-up I have ever seen in Vista!

I have been running Vista business on 5 systems since RTM, and this really got my attention. Everything, except the mouse cursor, stopped responding. I had to force the system down by holding the power button.

Please help me if you can. I do NOT want to abandon NOD32 and use the crappy little CA client (or anything else that the CheckPoint VPN works with, for that matter) just so I can get on this one stupid VPN.

2. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

If the gui shows correctly in vista its here....

Attached Files:

3. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

In the menu menu, toggle to 'Advanced mode' (lower left corner).
    Under Setup->Antivirus and antispyware you can disable the protection you wish.

4. CrookedBloke

Yup, that's how it's supposed to work, I'm sure. But the only one of those three that I can get to show as disabled is the bottom one, the Web threat protection. The others stay green. When I click on the disable real-time protection link, only the bottom item goes red.

5. CrookedBloke

Well, unfortunately, I have it figured out.

I use a standard user account under Vista. If I log on as an administrator I can disable protection. But even if I run the user interface for the new version of NOD32 as an administrator (right-click on shortcut in start menu and choose Run As Administrator) I cannot change the settings from within the standard user account.

That's not good. You should NOT have to be logged on to the system as an admin to make this change. If the application were compatible with UAC it would prompt for credentials when this setting was invoked. But it doesn't even let me apply the change if I run the entire applet as an admin.

This sort of thing should definitely be worked out before final release, if the application is to be considered Vista-compatible.

Thanks for your responses. Hope someone from Eset is monitoring.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2007
  6. CrookedBloke

Could anyone from Eset comment on this issue? It's not a show-stopper (for me), but it's definitely an inconvenience that I'll have to deal with several times each day. I really don't like to see stuff like this because it encourages people to use admin accounts for regular use.

7. The Nodder

The Nodder Registered Member

what's wrong with a Right Click option on the sys. tray icon to exit the program.
    I need to close the complete program, not parts of it.
    Every program I have in the sys tray has just that.

I need to close the program a lot & it's a chore to close it the way it's setup now.

Come on ESET please, a right click option to close it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.