Disabling netBIOS on XP?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Birdman, Jun 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

Is it recommended to DISABLE netBIOS from Windows XP start-up?

I've heard that enabling it is a security risk....and disabling it might mess up your internet connection.

A little program called Windows Worms Doora Cleaner 1.4.1 recommends to disable it. (see screenshots)

Currently my ISP is AT&T Yahoo DSL.

Advice needed. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. walking paradox

walking paradox Registered Member

Here are some remarks about this from Stem, a resident firewall and networking expert here.

3. walking paradox

walking paradox Registered Member

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

For that box just click yes.

I too have AT&T Yahoo DSL and disabling NetBIOS has caused no problem for me.

5. poirot

poirot Registered Member

Same here: using WWDC from Firewallleaktester never caused me any kind of problem either with dialup or broadband, with or without router with any kind of connection.

6. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

it's safe to keep on if you have a hardware firewall/router, but if you have a single computer with just a software firewall it's best to disable it.

you can find it by right-clicking on your network properties and selecting properties, then selecting IPv4 and selecting advanced and/or properties on the next few popups. i always disable the LMHash option in the same window, at least i think it's the LMH o_O i thought that didn't sound quite right, it's this - LmHosts lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.