Disabling HIPS due to flickering ess6+win 8

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Dizzee, Mar 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dizzee

Dizzee Registered Member

after following this thread:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=2196846#post2196846

To fix flickering of action center icon on windows 8 (I have had to deal with this on 2 out the 2 computers I have windows 8 running on!)

Anyway.. I have had to disable HIPS to correct the issue... how does this effect my security?

Thanks

2. Janus

Janus Registered Member

Hey Dizzee

I may be wrong, but as I understand it, if you are disabling the HIPS function then it will disable Self-defense too, and leave your more vulnerable . (A side note: But you can disable self-defense, which is not advisable, and still keep the HIPS function.)

Cheers, Janus :))

3. Dizzee

Dizzee Registered Member

In the end it didn't matter
    the flickering came back...
    so re enabling HIPS... got
    I'll have to disable action center...

sucks, I read through forum and "lots of us use windows 8 with eset without any problem"... and I've had this issue with 2 out of 2 computers! sucks to be me.

Action Center
    it flickers and sends an Action Center notification every second or 2 (which is very annoying) .. open up action center and the section that flickers is > security > spyware and unwanted software protection >> it flickers On and Off.

4. Janus

Janus Registered Member

5. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I don't think anyone has identified what causes it yet. I was able to duplicate the issue on a virtual machine but not on 2 physical ones. Might be a good idea to post hardware specs so users can compare to see if there is a common component. It could be a software conflict as well, but I would look at hardware first if it were me. Maybe it only happens with a particular brand of CPU/GPU/mouse/keyboard... who knows?

6. mikiki

mikiki Registered Member

It is better to disable alerts in action center as suggested before, than to disable parts of antivirus/firewall. There are 2 or 3 settings in action center if you disable it stops flickering, I don't know which ones by heart just try it out yourself by disabling all then enabling one by one.

For me fortunately latest version doesn't do any flickering, before I had it quite a lot.

7. djschachner

djschachner Registered Member

I'm also having this issue. I deactivated all the Action Center alerts, since I'd rather be protected than notified.

Any updates on this issue, or a potential fix?

8. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I just had to switch internet providers after a ridiculous rate hike. Now on Frontier FiOS, and getting this flickering. Quite annoying. Switching to another product until an update is released that hopefully addresses this and the Outlook issue. The only troubleshooting help I can offer is the previously stated internet provider change.

-Got annoyed with other product and reinstalled ESS. Action Center problem seems to be gone again.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  9. djshack

djshack Registered Member

ESET- Any updates on this? While disabling Action Center notifications is a workaround, it's hopefully not the final solution.

10. Janus

Janus Registered Member

Hey djshack

"Found it", see this thread especially post 10 -12-13, I guess it will be the closest to an answer at the moment. Link: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=337914

Regards, Janus

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.