disabling dns caching worth it?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by taleblou, Mar 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. taleblou

taleblou Registered Member

Hi:

I routinely get DNS issues like tonight when I lost my browsing due to DNS issue for a while and then all back to normal.. So I thought maybe by disabling windows 7 DNS caching and flush DNS will that cause issue on my browsing? Issues like slowing down internet or other problems? Thanks in advance for your advice.

2. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Not advisable unless a running app requires to be delayed or disabled in Windows services Like flushing your DNS

3. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

You will be protected against some DNS vulnerabilities and DNS might be a bit faster, but it depends on DNS provider, a few ms difference anyway. I disable it on all PCs ASAP.

In order to disable DNS Cache, you have to set DNS manually for each network adapter, otherwise the net will not work. https://dns.norton.com/dnsweb/huConfigurePc.do

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  4. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

If you disable DNS cache it would actually be slower since retrieving resolutions from a server is much slower than retrieving them from your hard drive/ RAM.

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

DNS lookups would actually be faster if you leave the cache enabled, for the reasons Hungry mentions. That's what it's there for. The only time you might run into problems is if you somehow get garbage in the cache, which may cause errors and persist until the cache is cleared. Overall, I think you're best off leaving it enabled.

6. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I will third that. Disabling it will by no means make things faster and if the DNS server were to become compromised at any point during the day, you would be more likely to pick up a bogus address if you are requesting it repeatedly. I know the flip to that would be that if it were bogus the first time that it would stick for the entire session, but I would rather take my chances with once than repeat it all day.

7. JimboW

JimboW Registered Member

OP, If you think your problems are DNS related you can flush safely but I wouldn't turn it off. Command prompt -> ipconfig /flushdns

8. Victek

Victek Registered Member

When you have browsing problems what makes you think they're caused by a DNS issue? You can try flushing the cache at the time you're experiencing the problem and see if that clears it up. You could also try using different DNS servers. I've been using Google DNS for a while and it has been fast and reliable. OpenDNS also works well.

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

It could even be a router issue. Once I was getting random DNS lookup errors and a simple reboot of the modem and router fixed it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.