Disabling Acronis shell folder extension

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by janger, Aug 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. janger

janger Registered Member

Does disabling the Acronis Shell Folder Extension cause any loss of backup, restore or scheduling functionality of TI11? I'm wondering since with it enabled XP's file search is forced to search in backup archives, and along with the time cost, it often crashes explorer after several minutes of searching. ktoliver was also having similar problems and his question was never answered. I've had this occur in the last few versions of TI and am happy to disable the extension manually, but only if it won't effect backups or scheduling.

2. shieber

shieber Registered Member

I think you would lose the ability to click on a TIB and be able to explore it, copy files from it, etc.

But you might stil be able to mount drive/partition tibs and access the contents that way. File-file backups can't be mounted.

3. janger

janger Registered Member

Yeah the 'explore tib' functionality is gone but I can still mount the image from the right-click context menu. I don't do file backups so the ability to explore archives isn't important to me. The main program also seems to be working ok and doesn't re-enable the shell extension when it's run.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello janger and everyone interested,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

The shell extension is indeed only needed for archive exploring and related functions (for example, searching inside archives). If you don't need those functions, shell extension can be safely disabled.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.