Disable the 'upgrade to version 9' messenger-like notification on Avira 8

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by davidlynch, May 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davidlynch

davidlynch Registered Member

Looking for a way to disable it, that appears like a messenger popup/banner on the tray. Already disabled the avnotify.exe on software restrictions but this only disallow the big pop-up.

Any help would be appreciated!

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

You should upgrade to version 9, why are you holding on to 8?

3. icr

icr Registered Member

why you want to use outdated version of Avira you can have free upgrade to latest versions:D

4. kencat

kencat Registered Member

Because antvir9 caused problems on two of my computers, albeit old ones, but otherwise functional with the prior version. The nag popup I do not need, until Avira makes ver 9 as invisible as ver 8, on ALL systems, which perhaps is not possible.

Win2000 system on old Pentium 500 MHz - right click on files would cause explorer to hang requiring reboot to resolve.

Win Xp SP2 on old AMD Duron 1.1 GHz - system would become extremely unresponsive, requiring reboot, until it happened again.

I have reverted back to 8. The details of my systems, and the possible software/hardware conflicts could be debated ad naseum, to no conclusion, but the point is, ver 9 is not for everyone. Therefore; the original poster deserves an answer, as do others - how to disable this presumptuous pop-up by Avira. It is pissing me off as well!

As with all things PC...YMMV..............but do not presume because you have no issues, others do not.

5. hammerman

hammerman Registered Member

I also have the problem with explorer hanging after a right click. This has been a problem that has been around for a while and Avira seem incapable or unwilling to resolve it. The recommendation appears to be either disable the shell extension or go back to version 8.

6. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

7. davidlynch

I found 8 to be:
    significantly lower on system resources/autostart drivers/services;
    installs perfectly on 2003 servers, with a little registry tweak;
    is very stable;

(Of couse, I just want file system protection without nags)

I didn't like 9 and it does not seem to be lower on resources as some people said in other thread.

btw, still with the messenger-like popup issue. appears only when system is restarted.

8. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

David, I don't think that the 'upgrade' popup notification can be disabled in v.8, you'll have to live with it.

If you are using the free version, note that by not upgrading to v.9 you are missing out the new adware/spyware detection capabilities included with it.

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Of course not, but have you tried resolving any of them with Avira, or posted on the Avira forum? That would be the way to go. If there are issues to be fixed, that will let them know also.

10. socialdistortion

socialdistortion Registered Member

Try disabling the check box that says inform about product updates in the update settings. That should do the trick.

People who have disabled it generally don't get the upgrade notification. I never got the notification. I had to manually upgrade to v9.

11. davidlynch

thank you socialdistortion, it seems to do the trick. but before this, the annoying popup already stopped appearing every day.

i'll keep testing. thanks again!

12. juujuuuujj

juujuuuujj Registered Member

Sorry for bumping this so late, but where is this check box? I've tried to get rid of this messenger-like popup unsuccessfully. If anyone has managed to disable it, please tell me how.

13. socialdistortion

socialdistortion Registered Member

It's in the config option.... under the update heading.

14. juujuuuujj

juujuuuujj Registered Member

Thanks, but it doesn't get rid of the popup, it just stops the regular updates.

15. azdps

azdps Registered Member

Solution to get rid of upgrade to version 9 nag screen:

The icon that sits in the taskbar tray is avgnt.exe. It's what starts the nag screen. avgnt.exe doesn't really do all that much for you. Allows you to disable Avira and a few other minor things. Most people like me have set Avira up already to do a complete system scan and virus update once a day. Avira shoud be pretty much setup so you never need to mess with the settings again. So avgnt.exe doesn't need to be running. If you need to, you can always create a shortcut to it and start it when you need to.

avgnt.exe starts up when windows loads up by default. You need to prevent it from starting up when windows loads by deleting the entry from the run registry entry to prevent it from running on startup. No more nag screen after that.

delete avgnt.exe from the following registry location:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Avira will still function properly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.