Disable IE Home Page Settings gets unchecked

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by dkistner, Jun 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dkistner

dkistner Registered Member

I don't know how this happens, but I'll have the disable IE Home Page Settings Area box checked in Spyware Blaster, and it will work great for a while; but then my home page will get hijacked yet again. Sure enough, when I go into Spyware Blaster to see what's happened with the setting, it's become unchecked.

I'm running Spyware Blaster, Adaware Pro, SpamWeed, and Norton Systemworks. I've also cleaned my system (several times) pre- and post-installation with Spybot and Hijack This.

Don't know if this is coincidental or not, but in the last few days I've started getting a gazillion repeat emails in my legitimate email folder from normally trusted sources. I don't have a clue as to where to start looking to solve the problems.

Somebody out there is awfully clever. Question is: Is there a simple solution to make the disable Home Page setting hold?

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

That setting in SpywareBlaster is not a protection against actual home page hijacks. It is merely a setting that prevents a user that is sitting at the keyboard from using the IE > Tools > Internet Options... from changing the home page manually.

The fact that your home page is changing means you are getting hijacked, perhaps by spyware embedded on your system, or perhaps via new hijacks from webpages being accessed.

You say that you've used HijackThis, but have you posted a log for the experts to review? If not, then that is worth doing because not all hijacks are obvious in a HJT log. Some are very subtle and may look completely harmless.

If you want to post a log, see this thread regarding the proper procedure to follow:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=15913

3. dkistner

dkistner Registered Member

I did not realize this! Well, I guess that would be too simple....

Will do as you suggest now. Thank you very much for clarifying!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.