Disable certain protection status warnings in RAC?

Discussion in 'Other ESET Home Products' started by bolero, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bolero

bolero Registered Member

I'm new to ESET and RAC and have just setup an RA Server and one client. I disabled email protection completely as I don't want and need it. Unfortunately, the console icon in the tray shows now in red because of this and has a protection status warning for this client. Is there a way to disable certain warnings, so it won't warn on this specific missing protection? I checked the user manual and the Eset KB, but it has nothing about this.
    Thanks.

2. Jdeane

Jdeane Eset Staff

How do you receive e-mail on the client? if other than POP3 then all you should need to do is turn off the 'E-mail client integration' leaving the e-mail scanning enable, without this Eset can only scan pop3 traffic.

If you are using POP3 then you can also untick the 'Enable POP3 protocol checking' option.

Doing both of these should disable the e-mail being scanned without changing the Eset client icon colour to amber.

Jon

3. bolero

bolero Registered Member

Thanks for the reply.
    I'm not talking of the ESET Security suite icon. That is indeed amber and I wasn't aware that it could have another color, I like amber ;-) I want to disable as many hooks as possible as I really do not need email scanning/access/interference to occur in any way. So, I have "Email client protection" disabled for Antivirus, Antispyware and Antispam protection.
    I'm talking of the RAC icon color. That is red when clients report that email protection is off. I'm looking for a way to tell RAC that this is not a warning situation. In the meantime I found out that I can control this partly from the "Systray Options". I checked off the "Protection Status Any Warnings" and the color went green. Now it alerts me only for "Critical" warnings. Obviously this isn't one, but I don't know which warnings are critical and which warnings I may miss now.
    I'm also still getting this alert shown in the "Protection Status Text" column for the clients.
    I would ask for a feature in RAC that allows me to have more finegrained control over what actually should be considered for/as an alert or warning text.

4. tony_m

tony_m Eset Staff Account

Hi bolero,

Here is how to disable email checking without changing the EAV protection status:

From the client enter the Advanced Setup tree (F5), then click Email Protection >> Email clients and deselect the Received email, Sent email, and Read email options.

Also, click POP3, POP3S from the Advanced Setup tree and deselect the Enable email checking option.

If you want to perform these steps via Configuration task with ERA Console, these options can be found here in ESET Configuration Editor:

ESET Smart Security, ESET NOD32 Antivirus >> Email filter >> Scan received/sent/read messages >> No

and

ESET Smart Security, ESET NOD32 Antivirus >> Personal firewall >> Setup >> Enable POP3 protocol checking >> No

Let us know if this resolves your issue.

5. bolero

bolero Registered Member

I had already disabled these, but obviously I have disabled protection somewhere higher up in the tree. I can't find the setting in RA that controls Advanced Setup, Antivirus and antispyware, email client protection, Enable ... I would have to reenable this. I reenabled it in the antispam protection branch and the Antispam protection got a green checkmark in the clients after some minutes. But I can't find the setting that controls this.
    It's quite cumbersome that the settings in the client are not in the same tree structure as in the Policy Manager.

6. bolero

bolero Registered Member

I still don't know how I can set these Smart Security settings in the RA Policy Manager.

I encountered another problem, but I guess this is rather Smart Security-oriented, so I should post in the other forum? The problem I encountered is that Smart Seccurity blocks my email program sometimes, so that changing between folders or messages is often delayed by 1 or 2 seconds. I verified that this is done by Smart Security as it doesn't happen when I switch off the "real-time filesystem protection". I think it's the document protection option. Mails are filed in big text files and that is likely delayed by SM when my program tries to read in from the file. I'm not sure about the best option to stop this. There doesn't seem to be an option to exclude certain paths from document checking, only extensions. Or did I overlook something?

7. remotebeheer

remotebeheer Registered Member

Hi and goodmorning from the netherlands....i'm kinda in the same situation. Can't get real-time system protection ON again via ERA console (policies). I'm overlooking something for sure, but i can't find the setting. o_O Turned on and set to YES the "enable antivirus and antispyware email client protection", but the realtime scanning stays off and nod32 icoon in the systray stays red. I turned it OFF before, because of not using the system protection the way it's setup...Can someone help me to point me to the settings i'm so desperately searching of to turn the real-time scanning back on for all our servers.

greetz,
    Dennis

8. dmaasland

dmaasland Registered Member

I've checked your settings and Real-Time protection is turned on (Although for some reason Anti-Stealth is not.) Although it's been set to actually not scan anything so at this moment it's rather pointless :).

What happens if you completely reset a client to default settings and let it connect to ERA for the policy?

9. remotebeheer

Ok thnx...i'm going to try that one.

10. remotebeheer

Btw...when anti-stealth is disabled (for some reason), then the real-time scanning protection is disabled too?

gr,
    Dennis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.