Disable antivir notifier?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by rawwr, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I'd say that in your case you are right that you could probably do without an AV or just use as right click scan as I do for files I download. I see your point in your case as to not needing to update more than once a day. I guess that it is just that I see no reason to not use something that is there ....why be skimpy? It is not paranoia. If it is offered every hour and there are 5-6 actual updates every 24 hours, why not take them? If I had to pay extra to get more than one update a day, I would be saying "no thank you, I am not at high risk and don't want to spend the extra money". But when it is offered freely why turn your nose up at it...UNLESS you are on dialup. Then I fully understand why someone would only do it once a day. I have been sooooo grateful for over six years now that I have broadband.

It is also Kaspersky's influence. Kaspersky updated every hour but the actual number of updates per 24 hours was 15-18. I really loved that about KAV and I guess I am influenced by that with Avira even though Avira has better heuristics so the frequent updates are not as important for Avira as they are for KAV.

You are close behind me! Neat! I had not been paying attention so I was so surprised when I just happened to notice it was at 2000...I guess the number of zeroes caught my subliminal perception as I thought to myself what did I just see about my post number? and looked back at it.

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, actually I used to do just that on my 2k setup, I ran F-Prot just as on-demand right click scanner for downloads, and that was it. Worked out pretty nicely for a long time too. Then eventually I figured why not just run a resident scanner anyway, it tends to make life easier. Perhaps one day I will return to the on-demand setup only, I do change things often here.

3. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Does this disable AntiVir notifier?

Gerard

4. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Using AV-PE as on-demand-only will NOT disable notifier. Notifier is activated by updating, not by the real-time-monitor (AVguard).

To disable notifier, either block it using SystemSafetyMonitor or DynamicSecurityAgent or (perhaps) one of the techniques discussed above.

5. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well, if you perform on-demand only scans with it you can just as well update manually. Getting that popup in such case is not as annoying as auto updater poping it up whenever it updates.

6. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

You don't have to install the guard service to begin with, and you can turn off the service/startup item. No need to quarantine it with DSA.

To get updates w/o the notifier, run the updater (preupd.exe) with the Windows task Scheduler as often as you wish. Works great here. I run it under a different account so I don't see anything.

7. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

When I used the free version of Sunbelt Kerio Firewall I used it's Application Behavior Blocking feature to block the notify exe. that's responsible for the Nag screen. Just food for thought.

8. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

The Free version of ProSecurity can block it also, actually there are probably quite a few free apps that will get the job done.

9. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

can i disable driver and service and use it as only on demand?? the classic

10. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

Yes. You can disable the service in Services and the drivers in Device Manager (AVGIO and AVIPBB) . There's another driver that isn't listed in Device manger (AVGNTFLT). You can use pserv2 to disable that one.

Might be easier to reinstall and de-select the AV Guard.

11. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

Windows XP Home and Pro
    1. Boot into Safe Mode (tap F8 repeatedly after you restart the computer)
    2. Log in using the Administrator account
    3. Go to C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avnotify.exe
    4. Right-click avnotify.exe-> properties-> security-> advanced
    5. Under the Permissions folder you will see all of the users. Start with the first user….
    6. Edit-> Traverse Folder / Execute File-> deny-> ok
    7. Now perform step 6 for all of the other users-> apply-> yes/ok-> close all open windows
    8. Reboot the computer into Normal Mode (start-> shutdown-> restart)
    -------------------------------
    Windows XP Pro only:
    1. Start-> Control Panel
    2. Administrative tools-> Local security policy
    3. Click on Software Restriction Policy-> Action (at the top)-> create new restriction policies
    4. Right-click additional rules (on the right side)-> new path rule
    5. Click Browse and navigate to c:\program files\Antivir\ and double-click avnotify.exe-> set the security level to Disallowed-> apply-> ok

Personal Note: It Does Work & has worked Well in 3 pcs over the past 4mos.

12. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Just as a note, your first solution above for XP Home also works for Win2k without the need to boot into safe mode, just right click on the file per above and do it..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.