DirectX 11 Goes Mainstream with ATI Radeon HD 5770 & 5750 Launch

Discussion in 'hardware' started by JRViejo, Oct 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

2. TechOutsider

TechOutsider Registered Member

So much for those that brought a 4770.

3. DOSawaits

DOSawaits Registered Member

Anhd those who waited years before finally buying a 4890 a month ago ! :(

4. TechOutsider

TechOutsider Registered Member

I remember when the 4890 was 500. Not even 200 now.

5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

6. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

I got an email today from the place where I buy my PC parts saying they have limited supplies of 5970's @ £538.99 :eek: Insane prices. I definitely won't be keeping up with the Joneses.

The switch around in GPU card making is welcomed! - ATI currently being #1. Not that long ago they were headed for the scrapheap.

7. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

I would wait till Nvidia brings to the stores the Fermi cards. Then we'll see better prices for all the ATI cards again and we'll have two new generations of hardware to compare and decide.

8. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    It's incredible how much video power you get for such a good price these days. Considering a 5770 myself...for well under 200 bucks that's a lot of performance. Even the lesser 5750 for a little over 100.

These days you can build an awesome gaming computer for well under a thousand bucks if you do it yourself.

Those complaining of prices....I suppose don't remember back in the early Pentium days, when you'd build a gaming computer that would easily cost over 4,000.00...even past 6 or 8 thousand dollars if you went with multiple Voodoo boards and a 17" CRT. Back in the Pentium and Pentium II days..even early Pentium III days...there really wasn't much in the offerings of mid-range graphics cards under 200 bucks. You either had old crummy ones, or had to spend over 300 bucks for a decent one.

9. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

10. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

11. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

12. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

13. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I'm not too likely to get anything above a 300w PSU in a system bought from a manufacturer (I don't intend to spend more than 650 bucks), but luckily I know how to install a new one :)

14. YeOldeStonecat

For XMas I built the boy a new gaming system, quadcore, 4 gigs RAM, WD Black Edition hard drive, and a Sapphire 5770 video card.

This card whats a minimum 450 watt power supply...the important thing to look at with higher end video cards is how many amps are able to be sustained on the 12v+ rail....you want a power supply which can pump mimimum 14 amps on this rail.

The 5770 is awesome, Newegg has it for $165 bucks.
    DX games are looking incredible, he's been playing that car rally racing game....Dirt2. It's jaw dropping in graphics, one of the early DX11 games.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  15. progress

progress Guest

I assume it's the only game which supports DX11 now? :doubt:

16. tgell

tgell Registered Member

The specs for an ATX PSU is +/-5% so I do not think you meant 14 volts on the 12v+ rail did you? Maybe 14 amps? Maybe I am wrong.

17. YeOldeStonecat

You were right, I was spacing out for a bit. 12 volt rail would be 12 volts...lol. Yes...amps on the rail.

18. YeOldeStonecat

No there are a couple out, and as the weeks go by, more and more released.
    There's a Stalker game which supports DX11, earlier versions of Stalker were also incredible graphics wise.....I can't wait to see this new version on DX11.

19. PC__Gamer

PC__Gamer Registered Member

lol, no thanks ATI.

DX11 doesnt mean much, and the 5770 doesnt even meet up to my 4890, and i have 2 of those in crossfire.

sure, i could switch, but lower performance and lower FPS just for the sake of DX11, no thanks.

out of the 5xxx series, only the 5870 and above would be an improvement on the 4890, and they aint that cheap and the margins aint big enough for me to jump ship.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  20. YeOldeStonecat

You're not comparing the same price bracket...you're not grasping the meaning of the tread title. This is "mainstream"..meaning affordable video cards for the masses....not top notch bleeding edge highest performance high budget cards. For mainstream gamers on mid-ranged budgets, and they usually game with monitors commonly in the 17 or 19" sizes. The old 5860 is still approx $400.00.

If we wanted to talk about top high end, we'd be talking about the 5970, but that's a whole different stratosphere of untouchable performance..and budget since it rings in at around $700.00.

If someone were to build a gaming system for under 600 dollars, and wanted great "bang for the buck", as well as a bit of future proofing (DX11)..the 5770 is a logical good choice. ;)

21. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Not to mention he is comparing 2 cards in CrossFire against 1. That make logical sense how..? :cautious:

I personally have a 5770 (mid-range) on order to try it out. :)

I believe the 56xx is now available though, the money saver range.

22. PC__Gamer

PC__Gamer Registered Member

ACTUALLY I was not,

CF is not needed, a single 4890 beats the crap out of one of these cards, but as YeOldeStonecat said, these go Mainstream meaning more affordable.

& of course, i do agree, these are good prices for people wanting a good card, i was just suggesting these would not be a good choice for me.

23. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

24. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

I bought the Sapphire HD5850 (came with a free key to Dirt2 DX11 game) back in October right after they were released. It was in the $250-260 range then. Demand brought it up to nearly $350 and now it's around $300. I guess you could call it a mid to upper range card. I thought $250 was a decent price at the time because they had just been released. Ever since then though, they have been hard to get a hold of until very recently. I wouldn't be surprised if the price dropped down to around $200 this summer. About the card though, I have been very satisfied with it so far. This is my first ATI card. I like the way it clocks down when idle and runs nice and cool. It has enough horsepower to handle everything that I have played on it easily. I got this card because of the DX11 compatibility and it's beefy enough to handle all of the modern games without a problem.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2010
  25. YeOldeStonecat

The GPU HSF....a key factor when selecting your card. I've had some cards that are screamers..and man does it get annoying. Since then, in selecting vid cards I always check out notes on the fan noise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.