Direct X 9.0b

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Murray, Aug 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Murray

Murray Registered Member

Is this patch necesary or wise to download? I am using Windows 98.

2. jvmorris

jvmorris Registered Member

I can't testify as to how 'safe' it is, but I can assure you that it has a rather unusual method of installing on my own Win 98 SE box (at any rate).

I'm not exactly sure what was going on. What I got (from Windows Update) certainly looked like a great deal more than just an Installer module (like one would get, say, upgrading to a new version of MSIE), but it was hardly the full update. It effectively spawned a second process which took quite some time to download and install itself.

I blew my first attempt the first time (I think with a bit of help due to my ISP disconnecting for some bizarre reason) and was surprised when I started all over to find "Phase Two".

3. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Hi Murray :)

Funny you should mention that, I only checked windows update myself earlier tonight, and saw that update. A whopping 11Mb I think from memory.

Anyhow, as far as I am concerned, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If you are having display problems, etc. maybe go ahead, but only if you really want to IMO.

Actually I still have 6 "Critical Updates" waiting for me, but I am not going to install them, as they don't apply in my specific situation. Always read the "More Info" link, see what it does, fixes, etc. before applying it.

Just my opinion. :D

Cheers, TAS

4. AplusWebMaster

AplusWebMaster Registered Member

;) 'Got his from "Windows Help", right from the "Start" button menu:
    "...DirectX includes accelerated video card and sound card drivers that provide better playback for different types of multimedia, such as full-color graphics, video, 3-D animation, immersive music, and theater sound. DirectX enables these advanced functions without requiring you to identify the hardware components in your computer and ensures that most software runs on most hardware systems..."

- 'Mostly for "Gamers" and those who do so online...M$ rated the "Update" critical, since there is an apparrent hole for hackers in the older versions that may be exploited while online...and WUP will keep bugging you to do so.

5. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Just only as some side-notes:

(I myself have not installed it yet at the moment).

You can also download it from the MS-site without using MS-Update.
    Link:
    click here
    "DirectX 9.0b Redistributable for Software Developers - Multilingual".

It is a huge file (be prepared !!): over 30 MB.
    I wanted to have it for friends with a slow dial-up connection.

At the moment I have not used it, only downloaded it; so I cannot tell you much more about it at the moment.

6. Vietnam Vet

Vietnam Vet Registered Member

I also downloaded the DirectX 9.0b Redistributable. Upon installing it everything went fine until I actually tried to play a game(DeerHunter 2). Game crashed, had to reboot to recover. After reboot, display looked very similar to safe mode. Display had changed to 640 x 480. Used Goback to revert to earlier time(just to be sure).

On second install, everything went fine and no problems since. FWIW.

As FANJ noted, it is a very large download. I am on dialup and it took over 2 and a half hours with DLExpert. Sure am glad boxing was on tv that night. :rolleyes:

7. AplusWebMaster

AplusWebMaster Registered Member

8. TAG97

TAG97 Registered Member

Unchecked Buffer in DirectX Could Enable System Compromise (819696)
    Originally posted: July 23, 2003

Summary
    Who should read this bulletin: Customers using Microsoft® Windows®

Impact of vulnerability: Allow an attacker to execute code on a user’s system

Hello all:
    Could someone explain how the attacker executes code on user's system? I been avoiding this patch because of the size. Does the vulnerability involve game playing only?
    Thanks in advance
    Tim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.