Digital Patrol Giveaway

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by whitedragon551, Jan 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Ported over from Raymonds now that its backup.

2. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Interesting...

It's part of a smoothwall blocklist that I got; pretty much, if not all, sub-domains regarding the this application are part of the list.

It seems Digital Patrol has, at least, 5 domains attached to it: -nictasoft.com; -www.nictasoft.com; -antiviraldp.com; -proantivirus.com and -www.proantivirus.com

Is it normal o_O

3. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

it is very fishy:) very strange indeed:D kind of suspicious to me:D

4. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

It is a good antimalware..;) Not a great detection though..:)

5. m00nbl00d

I see, from your signature, that you use it. Don't you find, at least, odd that different domains are assigned to it o_O

I don't know... it just sounds off to me.

6. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Its not only you. That catches my suspicion on first hand too...:) But after using the product for over six months I can confirm that it is safe.

7. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

not really, theyre trying to make peep stumble onto their site easier by getting commonly thought of site names, not like each of those domains they have link to a rogue AV or something.

8. jackmccoy

jackmccoy Registered Member

FWIW, WOT shows yellow for nictasoft (its developer, apparently) in google.

That, combined with a funky AV that has been around at least 6 months but nobody's heard of? What PART of that does NOT sound like trouble?

No accusations; just sayin'. Lately, Raymond's Freebies board has been getting a lot of these odd antimalware things...like rkill which renames itself to iexplore.exe to "confuse" virii (and keeps getting flagged by multiple scanners as a possible malware)...like some other weird thing from there that Norton let on then flagged as a malicious rootkit after it updated.

You can do and think what you want but, from now on, if raymond.cc's freebie board has something I've never heard of, I'm passing. Like on this, for instance.

9. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

rkill is safe as long as its the real one not a fake one.

10. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

rkill was developed by the owner of Bleeping Computers.

The knock off one was created by the guy who wrote Safe Returner. When he originally started Safe Returner he had an exact copy of rkill and tried to pass it off as his own and had some copyright infringements and lawsuits brought against him.

11. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

By I real one I mean the one that says its free. I remember a few sites in the past offering to let you buy Rkill for a low price. Then I remember reading somewhere about malware going under the name Rkill.

12. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Digital Patrol has been around for a long time. Nictasoft is mostly known for providing antivirus engine to other vendors rather than its own product Digital Patrol.
    And Nortons insight protection is famous for causing FPs. Also detecting trojans on other vendors AV by Norton, does that make any conclusion!!:argh:

13. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I dislike WOT & its "tyranny of the majority." If I wanted to read the attitude of a jillion Joe Sixpacks, I would sign up for WOT on my own. I do not need someone to do it for me.

"Funky"? Misapplied. But anyhow -- 23-skidoo & all that sort of balderdash! :cool:

"Nobody"?? Did you take a worldwide survey or are you omniscient?

Nictasoft has been around since 1997. Nictasoft's Digital Patrol (originally "Antiviral Digital Patrol") has been around nearly as long, & has been discussed here at Wilders numerous times since 2002. DP is not a top-tier AV. It runs on-demand only, & often gives a lot of FPs, but it's far from being unknown by those who follow security developments. As a freebie, DP is okay (IMO) if someone wants a second opinion AV in support of well-layered security.

14. m00nbl00d

So, as a freebie is OK? But, not for people to pay for it? For me, something either is or not more than OK, be it free or paid.

If someone wants a second opinion from an antimalware application, why not have the opinion of free antimalware applications whose detections are more than OK?

For a less than OK one, I guess, and one also paid, I could just go with the former rogue and now legit StopSign (-http://stopsign.com). Lousy detections, but does install fine on malware infested machines. :D (I guess they got the practice!)

I really don't see what freebie has got to do with anything. If something doesn't make it OK if it's to be bought, then it doesn't make it OK if it's for free. Otherwise, I could say the same about Spybot - Search & Destroy, which is free. So, it's an OK one, for free, that is? No, it isn't, there are better ones, for free. (Detection-wise, of course. It does offer real-time protection other free antimalware apps don't.)

15. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

I grabbed a copy, I don't know if I will need to use it ever but it will be good to keep if I ever want to test it :)

16. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

how good is it?

17. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

18. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Yes -- DP is okay for use as as a 2d opinion within an effectively layered security set-up. From time to time I use the HMP freebie, & a couple of other freebies, in the same way. They are occasionally useful, so why not? But I do not need them sufficiently to warrant buying licenses (I already have far too many paid-for security licenses).

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  19. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

For 9x/ME PC's, I feel it to be very good. With SSM and a few other system plugs, it's all I need, and my surfing is reckless.

Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.