Digital Armageddon is not coming any time soon

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Mrkvonic, Apr 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hi all,

Recently, there's been quite a lot of scare buzz reverberating across the Internet, carrying dark, gloomy messages of despair and destruction to the unknowing, frightened users. It seems everyone needs their share of drama. So here's mine.

However, unlike the harbingers of doom, I'm going to take a different stance. Instead of preaching of digital evil taking hold of our lives, I will try to rationalize and dispel some of the popular topics that seem to make headlines these days.

If you wanna read yet another rant, only this one by ME:

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/digital-armageddon.html

It has everything Conficker, Linux malware, Government backdoors!

As always, taketh not at face value.

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

ROFL. Aw shucks I was looking forward to the end of the digital world.:D :D :D

As always, Mrk, Well Done.

Pete

3. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

Just remember, you are addressing sophisticated users on this forum. The less knowledgeable may be confused by such advanced instructions such as "firewall-on" and "automatic updates". Also. kudos to Wilders for keeping the forum up on this dark day (I'm running linux and wearing a crash helmet).

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

No tinfoil?

Sorry to have disappointed ya, Peter.

BTW, my GIMPing skills are really pimping up, eh :)

Mrk

5. quark59

quark59 Registered Member

As always Mrkvonic, your observation is thoughtful and insightful. Sometimes we Wilders members get a little side tracked on security stuff!! Your advice is also useful for the general public, but they will usually brush it off until a crisis!!:eek:

6. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Most pathetic poop graphic of all time: looks a bit like teddy bear road kill: where was the heffalump dropping eh ?

eeek: the desktop beside me just got up made itself coffee and changed channels on the TV : lol; cool stuff happens in my house.

7. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

Great article Mrk.

I've decided to toss my tin foil hat away and get rid of my orgone generators. :)

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  8. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

When people fail to download the monthly recommended updates from MS, they can only blame themselves for any infection. As all this fuss about the conficker worm is only to the advantage of the security industry, I often wonder about the real relationship existing between virus writers and AVs companies, perhaps the term symbiosis would be more appropriate.

9. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

In several cases this is probably true. This fuss is really insane, btw I can´t understand that military facilities had problems which such a worm, it is so easy to avoid childish attacks like that. There is only one conclusion that some military systems are controlled by amateurs.

There will never be a digital armageddon but a subtle data collection and exchange channel like everyday when you use the internet.

10. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Military systems are the same as any other government system, no funding=no well-trained personnel=no proper handling and upkeep of mission critical equipment. It's also sometimes very well true that even in the military you can have someone who couldn't get out of a paper bag with a GPS system and Google maps sitting behind the desk/wheel.

P.S, data collection is getting less and less subtle and more and more "Deal with it or log off the net".

11. BrendanK.

BrendanK. Guest

LOL!

Loved the rant btw :)

12. ParadigmShift

ParadigmShift Registered Member

It's so good for sales. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.