Different Hardware?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by KikiBibi, Oct 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KikiBibi

KikiBibi Registered Member

If I change my hardware and restore a old archive, can I just install the new drivers and everything will be fine?
    Or are there special steps like going to safe zone??

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Once I had my system set up with the new drivers, I would take new images and update the archives to reflect the changes. Trying to go back to images or archives that don't reflect the current hardware might be asking for trouble

Pete

3. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

I'm not sure what you mean by change my hardware?
    In case you install a new motherboard with a different chipset, it's unlikely that your image will boot.
    If you restore an outdated archive, you want to uninstall the outdated drivers first, but removed hardware don't show in the hardware devices.
    Read this: http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10877_11-6017628.html?tag=nl.e101

When I modify my hardware setup, I prefer to do a fresh installation and go from there.

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I would go for a total re-installation from scratch too after copy/pasting my personal folders to my external harddisk and zeroing my two internal harddisks, just to make sure that everything is gone. All that without internet connection of course, except for activating Windows, Microsoft's most stupid idea ever.

5. KikiBibi

KikiBibi Registered Member

Luckily I asked first. Thanks. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.