Different Boot cd?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Jumping, Aug 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jumping

Jumping Registered Member

Hello

We have just purchased a bunch of licenses for Acronis True Image Corp Workstation and Enterprise Server.

Now my question is do I need to make a different boot cd for each of the above mentioned products?

I have done this as its what the boot cd creator allowed me to do.

If this is the case why? What is the difference on teh boot cds?

Sorry if this has been asked/answered before. I did a quick check but couldn't find anything on this topic.

Thanks
    Kim

2. napoleon

napoleon Registered Member

Kim,

Yes, you do need to make two different CDs...one for the servers and one for the workstations. This is because each version contains specific drivers for the hardware (network cards and RAID controllers mostly). Most people don't have enterprise-level RAID cards and levels on their desktops, for example, so the drivers are not on that CD, etc. Good luck!

3. Jumping

Jumping Registered Member

Ok thanks for the info John.

I kinda suspected that was the case. Although since they aren't filling the whole cd why not bake every driver onto the Enterprise server edition as that is the top product.

This would let you have one ultimate cd that does everything for you.

John did you ever get a chance to test the Novell idea?

Thanks for the info again.
    Kim

4. napoleon

napoleon Registered Member

Hey Kim! No, I haven't tried the Novell "theory" yet. Maybe I will today! I'll let you (and the forum) know.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Kim,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Remote Server Backup Software.

Acronis Bootable CD is build-scpecific so you should create two different CDs. For example you can restore the image from Tape drive with Acronis Bootable CD created with Acronis True Image Enterprise Server and you cannot do it with the CD created with Acronis True Image Corporate Workstation.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

6. apatel0

apatel0 Registered Member

I have a PowerEdge 6800 and created a boot cd but when I boot up with it, I cannot see the lan. Is there a way to add drivers to the Acronis cd?

7. tpuls999

tpuls999 Registered Member

:doubt:
    I feel stuck.

Our servers typically DONT have CD burners / only ROMs
    Is there a way to write an image file versus burning direct to CD for the
    Rescue Boot Acronis CD - which can then be transferred to a
    machine that is burner capable ??

Since it appears that the utility needs to run from the server to be rescued in order to get the appropriate drivers.

Any thoughts / solutions?

Thanks.

8. apatel0

Good question.. i just used my xp machine but used enterprise server to create it. i assumed it just put all the drivers on the cd that the servers would need. is that not the case?

9. tpuls999

tpuls999 Registered Member

I did the same. Installed Acronis Server Enterprise Ed. on XP machine, created the boot CD, but the two servers I tried to boot off of didnt like the full version boot (which is required for network access to images), they froze up on the please wait message. Only the safe boot, which only allows secure zone (local) access came up ok.

10. apatel0

i don't get why they would assume servers have cd-r/rw capabilities. unless i'm not understanding something here. i tried making just the floppy boot set but it kept asking me for disks! after the 4th one i just gave up.

11. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello apatel0 and tpuls999,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Remote Server Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Please be aware that Acronis Bootable Rescue CD does not depend on the machine which it was created from.

I'm afraid that there is no way to add any drivers to Acronis Bootable Rescue CD.

Please make sure that you use the latest build (1213) of Acronis True Image 8.0 Enterprise Server for Windows, which is available on our web site at the Product Updates section.
    To get access to updates you should first register your software.

Please create a new Acronis Bootable Rescue CD using the latest build and see whether the issue persists. If it persists then please create Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post. Please also do the following:

Boot your computer from the Acronis True Image rescue disc and press F11 key when the "Starting Acronis Loader..." message appears? After you get the "Linux Kernel Settings" prompt, please remove the word "quiet", click on the "OK" button and wait for # prompt to appear. Please insert a diskette into a floppy disk drive and issue the following commands:

asamba dhcp -n
    asamba masters

Please write down the output after each command, or use a digital camera to make shots of the output screens and collect the captured information. You can use Shift+PgUp and Shift+PgDn keys in order to scroll the screen manually.

cd tmp
    mkdir mntdir
    mount /devfs/floppy/0 mntdir
    cat /proc/net/dev > mntdir/net.txt
    umount mntdir

Collect the net.txt file from the diskette.

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Please be aware that Acronis True Image 8.0 Enterprise Server requires 6 floppy disks to create Acronis Bootable Rescue Media.

Please create Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post and submit a request for technical support. Attach the collected information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.