Difference in Pc temperature

Discussion in 'hardware' started by ReverseGear, Apr 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

My cpu and mobo were both getting heated up and so i bought hyper tx3 fan and installed it just a few hours ago
    Now im seeing difference in temperature from different software as shown in the pic below
    Whch one is the right one ? how do i know ?

Attached Files:

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Where do you see the difference? If it is few degrees then no matter. It is not exact science.

3. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

In speccy cpu is 42 degrees but in aida its 50

4. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Aida also says 42 under CPU heading. And 50 for mb. Not sure why there is cpu1 in bracket there. Both apps show same, I think.

5. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

yes u r right..den why the cpu in aida shows different ? the cores are of cpu only so why do the cores show different temperature than cpu ?

6. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

7. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

This version is from the giveaway at downloadcrew - it wont update to the newer version

8. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

I read that as 50 is the top of the scale and the green bar is where it is on that scale. The CPU temps per individual core show 42°C on all 4 cores, right in line with Speccy.

Also note the free (older) versions of AIDA are not 100% compatible with Windows 7. I would forget AIDA (unless you purchased a newer version that does support Windows 7). Speccy is good. So is CoreTemp for newer Intel and AMD64 CPUs - a nice system tray app I use that also has a nice Desktop Gadget for it.

HWMonitor, from the makers of CPUID is very informative, but does not minimize to the system tray.

9. Wallaby

Wallaby Registered Member

CPU temperature can only be roughly estimated
    http://www.hwinfo.com/forum/Thread-CPU-Core-temperature-measuring-via-DTS-Facts-Fictions

10. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Hi Bill,

I'm glad you jumped in. I was actually hoping you would :)

That's one of the reasons why I was asking The_ChamP whether their license would allow an upgrade to the latest version. An other reason was: Newer AIDA versions often have improved "detection". You see for example in the AIDA forum that, when someone seems to have an issue, Fiery often asks for a special AIDA file to be posted if needed; and then this might lead to a new beta-release which later on will be in the next stable release.

BTW, there is also the lite version of SiSoft Sandra; the lite version is, as far as I know, free for personal use.

===

Thanks also to Wallaby.

11. S.B.

S.B. Registered Member

Part of the confusion on CPU temperature stems from the fact that there are actually two types of CPU temperatures reported, and they are different. One of these is the "case temperature" of the CPU, which measures the temperature of the outer case of the CPU. Technically it should be labeled T(subscript c), but it almost never is. The other temperature is "core temperature", which is the temperature inside the CPU (within each of the core). Technically core temperature is also known as "junction temperature" and can be labeled T(subscript j).

All of this gets even more confusing because some people use the term "case temperature" as meaning the air temperature inside the computer case.

Anyhow, it seems that both of your softwares above report temps of 42 °C and 50 °C. The lower temp is probably the case temp; the higher one is probably core temperature. There tends to be more difference between the two temps when the CPU is under heavy load (core temp is higher). When the CPU isn't under load, and has had time for the interior and exterior temps to reach equilibrium, the two temps are closer together and sometimes identical. The motherboard typically reports readings of both temperatures, and it isn't unknown for some softwares to confuse the readings.

The "Core Temp" application above is quite reliable for measuring core temp. "Speed fan", and various other applications will show both temperatures.

__

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  12. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

Thank u everyone for the detailed reply . So now i understand the difference between the two temperatures in aida . So instead of getting confused with two temperatures from aida old version is it better that i just uninstall it as speccy also is showing accurate reading of the temperature ? Im not gonna see whole day what the temperature , i had just installed new fan so was just curious to see the difference in the temperature , and i used to see the temperature in speccy only before i got aida . And just to be sure i need to be concerned with the core temperature in aida or the cpu temperature ?

13. S.B.

S.B. Registered Member

IMO, for your CPU, it is sufficient to monitor the core temperature. Download and install the free "Core Temperature" application identified by Bill_Bright, above, to be certain that you are correctly monitoring core temp (the application is very small, less than 1 MB). Core Temp will also report Tjmax, which is the maximum core temperature your CPU can withstand.

Note however that you probably also have other components in your system that are temperature sensitive, such as, for example, components on your motherboard, particularly an array of capacitors near the cpu. Lifetime of of your motherboard can be impacted by temp because of these and other mb components. Similarly hard drive lifetime is probably also impacted by temp (although Google reported that temp wasn't particularly important for hard drive lifetime, their data actually does show some negative impact for high temperatures; moreover, Google's standard practice is to include significant cooling systems for their server setups). The point here is not that all components necessarily need to be monitored; instead, the point is that you should cool your system with forced air ventilation or the like, to enhance the lifetime of your system and system components.

__

14. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Great arguments for ensuring you have a quality case with lots of large (120mm or larger) fan support. It is the case's responsibility, after all, to ensure there is sufficient front-to-back flow of cooling air through the case.

15. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

Before installing hyper tx3 i was really worried about the cpu temperature as they were going above 55 degrees but after installing the fan the temperature has not once gone above 45 degrees [ core temp ] so as of now i have stopped seeing the temperature again and again after some time intervals
    I was just concerned with the difference in th two temperature but i have recieved enough explanation for it
    Thank you everyon
    Will install core temp and monitor the temperature on a daily basis now

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.