Difference between User Guide and Help File

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Catamaran, May 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Catamaran

Catamaran Registered Member

TI9 Home. Operation : Restore Partition

My PC consists of an internal and external disk. The internal disk has 2 partitions, 1st partition for the system, 2nd partition for data. The external disk is for backup purpose and contains separate images for the system partition and the data partition.

The User Guide and the software Help Files have different descriptions of what happens during the "Restore Partition" procedure.

User Guide (Section 6.3.5 Selecting a target disk/partition)
    "...all the data stored on the restored partition will be replaced by the image data..." My understanding is that if you had to restore the System Partition (e.g. problem with Windows) that only the 1st partition would be restored and that the Data Partition would remain "as is". :)

Help Files (Recovery)
    Select partition to Restore > Select destination > Destination disk >
    "...all existing partitions will be deleted and all their data will be lost..." If I interpret this correctly then what it means to me is that if I only restore the System Partition that the Data Partition will be deleted as part of the process because "all existing partitions will be deleted". The Help File continues by saying that if you choose not to delete all existing partitions on the destination disk that the restoration process will be terminated. :'(

So which of the above is correct o_O

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Catamaran,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please make sure that you use the latest build (3633) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home which is available at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/

To get access to updates you should create an account at:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/
    then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

You are correct. If you restore only system partition, you data partition will be intact.

I'm afraid that I can't find this statement in the Help file of build 3633. Could you please make a screen shot of it?

I would like to say that some partitions can be lost when you use Acronis Snap Restore option. When performing Snap Restore, the current Acronis True Image Home version always restores the entire system disk. Therefore, if your system disk consists of several partitions and you are planning to use Acronis Snap Restore, all partitions must be included into the image. Otherwise partitions, missing in the image, will be lost.

Please take a look at section 6.3.3 of Acronis True Image 9.0 User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

3. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Acronis needs to have a link that lets us know when the user guide is updated.

4. Catamaran

Apologies for the delay in providing the cross-reference, but I have been offline for a couple of days.

User Guide Section 6.3.5 Selecting a target disk/partition
    See the NOTES
    "...all the data stored on the restored partition will be replaced by the image data..."
    (To me this means that if a Disk has say 3 partitions only the data on the partition that is being restored will be replaced. The other 2 partitions will remain intact as is).

Help Files (Recovery)
    Help > Contents > Acronis True Image Home > Recovery > Non-empty destination hard disk drive >

There are 2 options. If you select "No" then the process terminates, which means that No cancels the operation. If you select "Yes" then the note reads
    "...all existing partitions will be deleted and all their data will be lost..."
    (To me this means that if a Disk has say 3 partitions that all the data on all 3 partitions will be replaced)

5. Acronis Support

Hello Catamaran,

Yes, you are correct. If you restore 1 partition, other 2 partition will be intact.

Please note that you can't restore the image of the whole hard drive if this image is stored on the same hard drive. To restore this disk you should move the backup archive from this disk to another (network shared drive, removable media and so on).
    So this statement refers to the fact that when you restore the image of the whole hard drive (it includes all your partitions), Acronis True Image deletes all data on the destination hard drive in order to restore the image.

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

6. Catamaran

Hello Tatyana

Yes, I think we are all in agreement. The User Guide is correct. This paragraph in the Help File supplied with TI9 needs to be rewritten. It just isn't clear enough what is meant.

The paragraph in the Help File would be correct if it was included with the section on Cloning. But in the Image Backup > Restore section it is confusing.

7. Acronis Support

Hello Catamaran,

Please note that Help file is correct since when you restore an image of the entire hard drive, Acronis True Image asks whether you want to delete partitions on the destination hard drive or not.

I have already forwarded the information to the appropriate person and Acronis True Image User's Guide will be corrected.

As for cloning, please note that Acronis True Image asks whether you want to delete the partitions on the destination hard drive or not too.

You can find this information in Help file in Other tasks->Disk cloning->Partitioned destination disk.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.