Difference between Symantec products

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by iravgupta, Jan 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

I would like the opinion of all you knowledgeable people regarding the difference between Symantec AV 2010 and the latest build of Symantec EndPoint Security from two perspectives only -

1. The detection/protection/solution level
    2. The impact on system performance.

Guys lets not venture into feature wars, both have their own merits. Thoughts?

2. AvinashR

AvinashR Registered Member

Are you talking about Norton AV 2010 or Symantec AV 2010 o_O o_O ...

3. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

I can't speak to Norton AV products, but have used SEP 12 on both Server 2008 as well as on an XP machine. It is extremely light on resources, especially on Server 2008 which used ~10,000k less than on an XP computer.

Personally I was quite dissatisfied in detection for zero day malware. It let a number of things through during my testing. The Proactive portion was pretty much a waste. LanGuy did a test on SEP 11, the results of which pretty much paralleled my own with SEP 12. If you're interested it can be found here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/languy99#p/u/55/QxTDBgT30NA

4. iravgupta

I doubt there is any such thing as Symantec AV 2010. At the most it is Symantec AV Corporate Edition 10. And that is not what I was referring to.

5. iravgupta

Yes, my preliminary findings indicate the same trend. I seriously wonder why consumer and enterprise products are not in sync detection wise. Feature wise its a different issue entirely I understand but detection wise its totally unacceptable. Haven't seen this much discrepancy with any other vendor, for e.g Kaspersky, TrendMicro, McAfee etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.