Difference between Normal snapshot and Frozen snapshot ?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Defenestration, Oct 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Hey guys,
    Keep in mind that I never tested this myself. It's based on a theoretical logical reasoning and I would be stupified, if it does NOT work. It's obvious enough to me that it will work.

Pay very good attention to the name "Freeze Storage.arx" or the one you choosed yourself, because the name must be correct.
    If somebody has the courage to reboot with a wrong name, I would like to know how FDISR reacts. :)

2. kennyboy

kennyboy Registered Member

Think Pete should try it first.....:D

3. ErikAlbert

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :)

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Heck, the only thing I freeze is ice cream, and meat.

Frozen snapshots don't really fit that well with my usage of FDISR.

5. ErikAlbert

That's why I called it a workaround. Of course you can unfreeze such a snapshot and use it as a normal snapshot.
    I don't think my workaround is practical in usage, like most workarounds.

You can boot in any archived snapshots, but you have to prepare it first and that requires also time. Creating a new snapshot via an archived snapshot is most probably faster than my workaround. As long it isn't integrated in FDISR it remains a workaround.
    It was just a theoretical idea for Chris to play with, he likes to experiment too. :D

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hey Erik

I wouldn't use cut and paste as with the big files it would be time consuming. But here is something you could do that once set up would be real easy.

Say for example other than your "Freeze" snapshots you have 3 other configurations that you want to be able to work with using the freeze concept. What I would do is this.

1. Build your regular freeze.arx and also a 1.arx 2.arx 3.arx
    2. Build 6 batch files so that do1 renames freeze to xfreeze and 1.arx to freeze.arx. Also build undo1... which would put them back to normal.

Now this is still a bit clumsy as you have to remember the undo, so we dig a bit into batch file stuff and can end up with a do1,do2,do3 and undo.

Just requires some testing. For example say you did do1, and now want to do2. Do2 would first test for the existance of xfreeze, and if it finds it then test to see whether it was 1 or 3 missing and then perform the necessary renames. This is would take a bit of work to set up, but once you had it the usage would be quite simple.

Pete

7. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

I would be interested as Erik Albert said if the freeze name is changed incorrectly. Thanks for the explanation guys.

Thanks,

Chris

8. ErikAlbert

More userfriendly solution for booting in archived snapshots without workaround.

1. Go to Tools/Option/Freeze-screen and browse to your archive folder and pick the wanted .arx-file and that will be your freeze storage file.
    2. Refreeze (this might not be necessary, if you can anchor the right object, where the setting is stored)
    3. Reboot

This is not a workaround anymore because you use nothing but normal FDISR-functions.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2006
  9. ErikAlbert

Well, I tested my blue method yesterday. It works but too unpractical IMO.
    If you change the freeze folder setting, you have to freeze the snapshot again.
    Forget about it, it's a Frankenstein solution that belongs in a freak museum.
    Copy/update from an archived snapshot and reboot afterwards is much easier. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.