Did you choose your firewall according to Matousec ?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by bollity, May 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

If you like Online Armor Free and works well for you then yes it's a good choice.

Nope. I start using my firewall application long before Matousec ever existed.

Been a lot of discussion on this already. I see it as yet-another-test. Do I trust it? A little. Do I depend on it? Absolutely not.

2. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

Your approach is almost the proper one :)

Q: Do you trust it ?
    A: You can trust every result of every test. You can ignore the rating if you do not understand what this rating is about. In no way this rating reflects what firewall or HIPS system is the best, this only reflect ability of some products to intercept some tricky techniques intended to fool apllication-based security.

Q: What does mean a poor score at matousec ?
    A: A poor score does reflect a poor selfdefence and HIPS functionality. It doesn't reflect how good antimalware or anivirus database of the product is.

This is all you need to know about matousec not to be misled by its results.

3. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

You are entitled to your opinion and I am entitle to mine. Lets just leave it a that.

4. subset

subset Registered Member

How can you know after 9 tests?
    Like Sunbelt - 5 failed, 4 passed - final score 5% / 84.
    Why 84 o_O They did only 9 tests.
    Do they have a weakness in arithmetic? :cautious:

Either all products have the equal conditions or the results will reflect a concertina more than anything else.

And why is this concertina test useful?
    Well look at the "GET IT NOW!" links and you know why.
    For me it looks just like a 'Pay per Lead' or 'Pay-per-Sale' site.

My money comes from the products which score highest at my independent tests. o_O
    Well, even independent tests can be adapted to fit and everything will be in the right order and all tests will be very accurate...

Cheers

5. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

There level up score system sucks... If you fail the first level but say you pass the other 8 (even tho he wont score them) you still are only graded and tested as far as the first. So if you fail his system at the first level your product is pretty much failed for the rest of the test. :cautious:

Test serve a valuable purpose I don't mind them, but when you can take good tests and bad implementation people can be mislead. While the tests them self maybe sound and decent the way they are implemented is not.

6. miki69

miki69 Registered Member

in short - YES
    After reading matousec report I have chosen Comodo Firewall, before that I have had ESS which scored miserably, plus my internet connection initialization took forever upon every restart.

7. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

ESS dose exactly what it says it will do its a firewall not a Hips program.

The sad part is the firewall could be lousy and yet still do awesome if it has hips that site is so misleading. :doubt:

8. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

lol only took them a few years. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.