Did it restore?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by CorruptedSanity, Apr 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CorruptedSanity

CorruptedSanity Registered Member

I created a full back up today and needed to restore to it. So I did the usual, selected the image and restored to it (boot HD with XP SP2). Nothing unusual, any way it did a verification of integrity of image them asked me to reboot, it rebooted and the progress bar finished then all windows disappeared and all I was left with was a huge mouse pointer and a blue screen. I restarted and checked logged files but that wasnt clear, so I did it all again and got the same result, so did I restore?

2. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

Can't say - but if you create a new file, restore and find it's gone - I'd guess it did.

3. CorruptedSanity

Well thats not really professional and I think you're mistaken. The event log has to display it as restored successfully or something.

4. TheWeaz

And you would be wrong ... good luck.

5. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

In my unprofessional methodology, I'd do the same thing that TheWeaz suggested in his unprofessional scheme. :D :D :D For a slightly less unprofessional method you might delete a file you know is always there such as one in the root of C and then do the restore and see if it reappears.

I don't think TI writes into logs after doing a restore. One reason is that the active partition restore gets done outside of Windows by the Linux rescue environment and I don't think it makes any attempt to modify any files on the restored disk.

6. CorruptedSanity

Ohh man I guess I should have thought twice about using the term "unprofessional". My bad guys. In fact i've learned plenty from reading The Weaz's posts before actually buying the app and more so after. I apologize.

7. CorruptedSanity

Ill definitely do as suggested, create a file then restore to yesterday's image and see what happens. I just thought it would be logic that the event log would show the event as successful or the very least a pop-up window saying " good job, you've restored". I guess not but thanks for the suggestion, ill try it now.

8. CorruptedSanity

Ok I did a simple test by deleting some files of off my desktop and then creating a bunch of files on the desktop, restored (still didnt get a "you're cool now - restored successfully" window, so I had to restart after the progress bar reached full and found yesterday's desktop. Was this test good enough?

Thanks guys!

9. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Now you've got me wondering about what happens exactly after I restore. It's been a while since I did a restore but IIRC there is indeed a window that pops up and says "Operation Successfully Completed" or somethng similar. The huge mouse pointer isn't normal.

Your test indicates that it did restore. Did you get the big mouse pointer again?

PS: I'm glad to see your apology to The Weaz. Very nice.

10. TheWeaz

Hello again. :)
    Like seekforever, I can’t remember what happened after the restores I’ve done, but I usually use the BartPE disk I created to do restores. I don’t remember being left hanging though.
    “Huge”, I suppose is relative, but since you boot outside of Windows you wouldn’t be using the Windows settings for the mouse. IIRC, I wind up in something like 640x480 VGA mode which had a bigger than usual pointer. The refresh rate (which I am unusually sensitive to) is most definitely lower.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.