did i get hacked?

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by jfd15, Oct 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jfd15

jfd15 Registered Member

i was at the public library a few days ago and all of a sudden i get the UAC
    thingy blinking and it says something like "Cathy-PC" needs your permission
    to access Windows Media Player...so im just wondering if this means i was
    hacked and if so, was it likely by someone sitting near me in the library also using the free wi-fi or if you get hacked thru the internet, will it show up like that, "Cathy-PC" trying to access your WMP?

would your firewall program delineate between IP addresses
    trying to attack you over the internet vs. someone locally trying to hack you?
    i was only using the Vista firewall at the time...

also, is there some program that will alert you of other local laptops trying
    to hack you? ive tried Netstumbler and Cain a little bit, but i dont think
    they will list other laptops will they?

2. OldMX

OldMX Registered Member

Looks like windows firewall has enabled the option to share media files, just turn it off.

3. jfd15

jfd15 Registered Member

is that all it is? i use limewire, another limewire user trying to view my files?

4. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Limewire is quite a likely explanation, I think, though I use it on XP and am unfamiliar with UAC/Vista, (and almost certain to remain so.)
    I would not recommend having limewire configure to start with windows. I would strongly recommend checking the "shared folders" option in Limewire to be sure you are not sharing your computer with the world. Literally. Only share the folder and content you want to share, eg: non-copyright protected music/film clips. Make sure Limewire is firewalled. There are other configuration settings in Limewire>options, relating to bandwidth users can share, how many at a time etc, that are definitely worth a look. Lastly, in Limewire, look in "connections" to see what IP address is accessing your shared folders.
    Sorry if you already know all this.

5. jfd15

jfd15 Registered Member

thanks, i didnt know most of that stuff on Limewire..dont really care if they access my "shared" folder to see whats avail., not the rest of my computer though...

6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I couldn't share my downloaded files, because my ISP restricted my uploads and downloads.
    So many users were angry with me and cancelled my downloadings, because I didn't share. (I used winMX).

7. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

In the area i'm at the ISP went after customers who were using apps like Limewire because they were leaving their connections open for multiple hits which was draining bandwidth according to the tech i spoke with so many of them got cancelled out right. That's been months ago but still makes sense because don't these P2P file sharing programs attract a large audience and especially when plenty of takers are zooming in on a single PC. Multiply that user by however many are using them at the same time and it explains why everyone got a letter announcing a new useage policy :D

8. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

I experienced the exact same thing :( . I was also using WinMX.

@Easter, The file sharing app. I was using had the ability to limit ingoing and outgoing connections and had many other options. Unfortunately, most people don't take the time to learn about the programs to control them. This is why the US government doesn't like p2p apps. People were sharing more than their media files :blink: . So naturally, they blame the program rather than the person. :isay:

9. jfd15

jfd15 Registered Member

on the topic, i checked my settings in Limewire and dont see anything other than the "shared" folder being allowed for others to look at...am still wondering
    why the UAC said that so-and-so's PC wanted to access my Windows Media Player...doesnt that seem like someone going beyond anything Limewire would allow them?

10. OldMX

OldMX Registered Member

11. jfd15

jfd15 Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.