Did Avira just take 2 steps backwards with their Suite

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by trjam, Sep 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I went to install it back onto 2 machines, one with Vista and one with XP. The one with Vista will install but when you click the update button, nothing happens. On the XP one, halfway through the install it says it failed. I never had issues like this before and do realize it could be on my end. The only thing is, I have not ever tried the same software on both. I also owe Karen and Belgammin an apology as they appear to have been right with their issues from what I am hearing.

So those who have it, do you thing the new additions were rushed and are you having any issues.

2. BG

BG Registered Member

trjam ... I had the same problem. Got the 90 day trial and decided to give it a go on my vista machine. Could not get the update to work. Click on update and it would just sit there like I hadn't clicked on anything. Also when installing I got 3 installation error boxes. Didn't matter how I installed it.

3. CtlAltDelete

CtlAltDelete Registered Member

I noticed it too on a Vista machine.

It would install, show "copying files", then move to "installing files" and start erroring out. Got three install failed errors one after the other. Then it would complete, show in the taskbar. Open the program and you could hover over the options but not click on any of them.

I tried running registry cleaners, etc. Nothing worked.

Ran a complete format and reinstall of Vista, then tried Avira PE again. Worked perfectly with no errors.

4. Skytrooper

Skytrooper Registered Member

I installed the 90-day trial of Avira Premium Security Suite on my Vista PC and was never able to get it to download updates. When I ran GRC's ShieldsUP! test, I had the same results reported by Karen76 in that now-locked thread. Ports #135 and #139 were open, #445 was stealthed, and all others were closed. Following the advice of one member, I raised the firewall's setting from the default of Medium to High but that made no difference when I ran a new port scan.

5. pykko

pykko Registered Member

trjam, if you encounter an issue on a specific machine you will change your AV (you could read both Antivirus and Avatar here) ?
    It failed to me also to install on a XP machine, but the installer was corrupted (got it from softpedia.com I guess). I've downloaded a fresh one and everything went fine.
    On Vista x64 Avira works also great. But keep changing... :rolleyes:

6. trjam

trjam Registered Member

First, this isnt about me. I clearly stated my issues with the product may be self inflicted. I seriously doubt it on one PC though. But after looking at different forums and listening to ohers I feel it is a valid question. I am not saying they went backwards, or forwards. I am asking what people think.

And again, hopefully for the last time, the avatar is nothing more then a picture. It does not mean just because it changes that I unistalled my software and installed something else.:)

Or does ito_O?

7. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

No issues here, installed and running fine for the past few days. I've tried it on 2 different systems and its run great on both. I'm quite impressed with its speed, very quick.

8. fredra

fredra Registered Member

The avatar is irrelevant, now back to the question.
    I am using the 90 dy trial and there IS something very wrong with APSS.
    -installs are promlematic on some machines
    -firewall does not seem to be robust (ports 0, 135 are SOMETIMES!!! closed on GRC), unless you are behind a router. Their fix is to write a specific rule to block these "closed" ports to make them all stealth. The user must do this, now that is poppy **** (to use the word)
    -webguard has a negative effect on downloading (try d/l a large file with WG on, reboot, turn WB off and d/l the same file) you will then see the effect of WG.
    -updates (specifically Sept 13) rendered the icon in the tray inoperable. You needed to re-boot to get it operational. They say that it is not reproducible.

It would appear to this OP that AVIRA has regressed in thir latest offering as it was not evident in the "beta" testing. :mad:

On their forums they keep justifying everything, but fail to listen. Maybe it is lost in translation.

Cheers :)

9. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

I could not agree more. Same problems I had. I posted that according to Gibson Research's test, the firewall did not stealth all ports. The alleged technical/board person attacked me. I kept making the same point that the firewall was flawed (among other things) and his solution was to write a rule that the code writers were unable or unwilling to do. The suite is flawed, and I would stay away from it for now.

10. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I view this suite & others AVs as flawed. And to be stayed awayed from. Unless one is unaware or has compensated for products flaws or has a testing environment.

But REALLY. I see the real problem as trjam's changing avatars. If trjam would stop changing avatars all would be well. :D :D :D

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2007
  11. trjam

trjam Registered Member

well a well needed format of both computers and everything is blissful again in Avira land.;)

12. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

I've received the multiple installation errors on at least a dozen different pc's running XP over the past year. The installation completes, but I have no idea why those errors creep up. Granted I haven't really taken the time to troubleshoot them.... :doubt:

13. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I have the Personal Pro version and it got the engine update (sept 13) while I slept. I got on the computer the next morning and didn't notice at first that the umbrella was gone from the systray. When I did notice it missing, I ran Process Explorer and found avcenter.exe and avgnt. exe were not running. Only sched.exe was running. So, I enabled both of those which got my tray icon back. I then posted at the Avira forum and was "dismissed" with a one line reply that if it didn't do that constantly, not to worry about it. Well, gee...I didn't notice it missing right away...that is not good! I had asked why it happened ...that was ignored and I was just basically told that I shouldn't worry about such things. :(

14. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Screw this, less then a hour later network connection gone. I am with Eset from here on out. Avira, you frigging stink.:thumbd:

15. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Other than that, how are you liking Avira and F-Secure? :D :D
    Are you using the ESET suite?

Regards,
    Jerry

16. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

trjam, i know you like avira, but you should not be using something that gives you ....erm.... about 3 problems every week.

17. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I reformatted all afternoon both computers and now this. Put Nod on and internet connection is fine and fast. I learn things the hardway. No Jerry, not going to use F Secure, it still adds weight over time. As for Avira, well, nuff said. Going to stick with Eset, and leave it at that. Geez, I am pissed with what they have done to a previous good product. Someone should have their ass there for this crap.

18. fredra

fredra Registered Member

@trjam
    I know you have always liked APSS, and that is your right, however, there are some things that seem to be wrong with the latest version. The one that is annoying for me is the definite slowdown of d/ls with their WG active. Why on he*** name did they include it is beyond me.
    Avira's forum (the mods maybe overworked) is full with posting of BSOD and that is not a good sign.
    ESS (Beta) has its hiccups (I have it on my test PC), but when they do fix the bugs it should be a strong contender.
    Good luck trjam
    Cheers :)

19. trjam

trjam Registered Member

one good thing is, I get to move up to the top forums and out of the basement down here. Marcos, guess who is coming to dinner?

20. Miyagi

Miyagi Registered Member

After my departure from Dr.Web, I am quite happy with F-PROT and don't spend a whole lot of time trying to decide which is better or experience the unknown bugs.

I've learned to stick to a product and let the AV experts protect you from all these nonsense. Enjoy your computer and internet and don't waste time trying to figure the unknown. ;)

EDIT - I am sure AVIRA did not purposely go back a step or two, it's a fine product that needs to tweak from the recent upgrade. All products will go through this mode. How much of a patience is all it matters.

21. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

I was trailing the suite and for some reason my wireless keeps dropping. Also, web pages are not loading correctly. If I refresh the page, then it displays correctly... Anyone else having issues with pages not load right? Sorry, I didn't read all of the post since I'm at work and the supers don't like us to surf the web. :oops:

22. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I had update and last system scan and Mail guard problems. I thought if I just let Avira do its scheduled scan it might clear it self, I got home from work put on the computer Avira tries to do its scheduled scan. At the same time Avira starts a scheduled update, heres the strange part I get a error message saying I have reached Avira limit of 4 something. I look at the taskbar and it says I have 24 copys of Avira running at the same time :blink: this increases to 28. I click "Yes" on the error message and the copy disappears, when it got to one copy running I just let it run till 100%. After I tried a update just to see if it worked...it works again, I haven't tryed scan yet...I'm afraid it will just jam again. I'll run a scheduled scan tomorrow. I still have the mail guard problem, according to the readme in the program file its a known issue.

23. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

Avira Premium, not the suite, just the AV was acting up for me last couple days with the one of the issues in this thread. I clicked Update, it just sat there like a deaf and dumb dog. I had fought with System Restore time and again to no joy. Finally a couple remove and install again fixed it, for now I guess. I can't wait until the green one gets out of beta. :D

24. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Avira has so many things going for it, and it is a shame that they cannot get the consistent problems of updating, etc corrected.
    I admit I liked the premium edition when I tried it, and planned to buy it until the KIS7 Systweak offer came along. Haven't looked back, but still like Avira.

I also tried the suite, and liked it also. My laptop seems to run with everything. Maybe I should figure out a way to patent that particular machine. Wonder if Jeff might want it?:D

Regards,
    Jerry

25. Thug21

Thug21 Registered Member

Does any other AV vendor have a pretty rigid schedule for releasing new builds like Avira does? With all the issues people have, it seems like Avira must rush like crazy to meet their quarterly deadlines. If only they tested things better, Avira would be the cat's pajama's.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.