DiamondCS releases Port Explorer

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by Wayne - DiamondCS, Nov 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CopyCATS

CopyCATS Guest

I would sincerely like to congratulate TDS on all the hard work and research they did to develop this wonderful copy of someone elses software.

I am sure the authors of CATS would be so pleased and honored that Diamond CS copied their software almost down to the detail, even including the IP location feature which is nowhere near as good as the one they blatantly attempted to copy from an early version of their software.

In all my years, I have never seen such blatant copying and theft of ideas and having the nerve to claim all this hard work as your own is sheer lunacy.

I'm sure you thought that nobody would notice. If your software is so awesome as you frequently boast, then why do you need to steal ideas and features from other programs?

I can post some screens if others want to see thne true extent of the blatant copying and theft of ideas. This leaves me to wonder how many stolen features and ideas will miraculously appear in TDS4.

You don't even credit the program from which you stole! I will be e-mailing the CATS authors later on and making them aware of the lameness of TDS who seem to lack their own ideas. Maybe you should ask those people to code for you as they obviously have more clue than you guys if you have to blindly copy them.

http://www.softpile.com/Utilities/Security/Review_13950_index.html

http://webs.ono.com/usr026/Agika2/3internet/dialer.htm

2. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

"CopyCATS" (why are you posting anonymously - what do you have to hide?), your post is nothing short of offensive -- you weren't a part of the beta team so you obviously have no idea of the struggles we went through in developing this program, and the hurdles we had to cross. We were developing anti-trojan programs in the mid 90s when remote access trojans first appeared, and indeed we are the OLDEST registered anti-trojan company in the world, having been a legally registered business since December 1986 -- what was the 'CATS' author doing then?

If our software is older than theirs (which it is by many years), surely THEY would be ripping OUR software off, and not vice versao_O And seeing as we've been around for so long, why are you the VERY first person to _ever_ make any accusation questioning the uniqueness of our software. You haven't identified yourself as a computer professional, and TDS-3 and Port Explorer, like all our software, has been subject to use and analysis by professionals from all corners of the globe, yet we've never had any similar remarks from anybody else. Is it safe to assume that you're affiliated with another anti-trojan company? I smell a RAT.

Until I read your post I must confess that I hadn't personally heard of 'CATS' (there are many new anti-trojans that pop up all the time, but I don't even consider them as they're too new to be useful - they don't cover many of the older trojans that are still popular), although I'm sure Gavin has heard of it, but he handles the trojan analysis side of things and not programming. TDS-3 is 100% original -- there is nothing like it in the world. I've never downloaded let alone tried CATS so I don't know how it compares to either TDS-3 or Port Explorer, but your comment that we are ripping off other software is absurd and we take great offense.

You have provided NO evidence to support your absurd claim, and in fact we'd LOVE it if you emailed the CATS author to get his confirmation that our software is unique and not a 'rip-off' of his software that we've never even heard about. In addition to no evidence, you have no understanding of how long it has taken us to develop Port Explorer -- it uses technology developed for TDS4 and you will NOT find such technology in ANY other programs.

The people of this forum are intelligent enough to see through your post, and we look forward to your sincere apology. I'll also be emailing the author of CATS to introduce myself, with a copy of your post. I'm sure he'll be just as surprised as we are.

Best regards,
    Wayne Langlois
    DiamondCS - Since 1986.

3. Wayne - DiamondCS

The securitycats.com site doesn't appear to exist anymore, and all websites we've found that had originally listed the program have now de-listed it ... (the plot thickens). Does the CATS program still exist? The securitycats.com website was created 2002-06-12 (hmm, a very new site), so I'm surprised it's not up at the moment. Either way, it's a bit hard to see if we're "ripping a program off" if we can't even download the thing or contact the author, who's name appears to be Chris Kolar. Sorry but I've never heard of him, he must be new in the anti-trojan scene? A google search for "Chris Kolar" CATS only found one reference, and that has since been removed. Hmm...

Also, CATS appears to have a very low version number -- 0.5.0 as of August 26, 2002. TDS was already up to version 2.0 in the mid 90's.

I'll let the good people of this forum do the maths to figure out which the older program is, and who is copying who, if at all. (Has ANYBODY here even heard of CATS? We haven't, Gavin just confirmed that hasn't either).

Anyway I think we can safely say that neither TDS-3 or Port Explorer have anything in common with this new-but-non-existant anti-trojan program. We'd contact the author about it, but with all due respect to him he doesn't seem to exist either.

Best regards,
    Wayne

4. CopyCats

CopyCats Guest

"CopyCATS", your post is nothing short of offensive -- you weren't a part of the beta team so you obviously have no idea of the struggles we went through in developing this program, and the hurdles we had to cross. We were developing anti-trojan programs in the mid 90s when remote access trojans first appeared, and indeed we are the OLDEST registered anti-trojan company in the world, having been a legally registered business since December 1986 -- what was the 'CATS' author doing then?

I guess the CATS authors didn't need to start coding anti trojan software in 1986 to be able to think up new ideas for you to copy and release programs which don't crash your computer. Fortunately I was spared being one of your prestigious beta team and having to reboot every 5 minutes after running your buggy software. So because you were developing software in the 90's means that you didn't copy these new features? Lol nice try.

Where was port explorer and the features it contains when CATS was released? Strange how
    your program has suddenly found integration and features included in the CATS software.
    You may be offended, but you are also a liar Wayne. You lie frequently and regularly talk
    nonsense.

CATS was released before port explorer as well you know and now all of a sudden TDS has new
    functionaloty and features just the same as CATS which you claim to have never heard of. It was mention over in the dsl forums and you were busy shilling in there at the time, so I very much doubt that it escaped your attention.

If our software is older than theirs (which it is by many years), surely THEY would be ripping OUR software off, and not vice versao_O

How absurd! These new features of yours are not older than theirs Wayne. Nice try but no sale.

Until I read your post I must confess that I hadn't personally heard of 'CATS' (there are many new anti-trojans that pop up all the time, but I don't even consider them as they're too new to be useful - they don't cover many of the older trojans that are still popular), although I'm sure Gavin has heard of it, but he handles the trojan analysis side of things and not programming. TDS-3 is 100% original -- there is nothing like it in the world. I've never downloaded let alone tried CATS so I don't know how it compares to either TDS-3 or Port Explorer, but your comment that we are ripping off other software is absurd and we take great offense.

So you are going to claim that these new features now included into port esxplorer which are almost exactly the same as the ones in the earlier released CATS program are all your hard work and ideas then? lol the copying is so blatant that it goes beyond belief. Explain to all these good people why tds suddenly has all these amazing ideas for the exact same features and implemented them into a program in the almost exact same way into their program. CATS was released before port explorer so that makes you the copycat now doesn't it.

You have provided NO evidence to support your absurd claim, and in fact we'd LOVE it if you emailed the CATS author to get his confirmation that our software is unique and not a 'rip-off' of his software that we've never even heard about. In addition to no evidence, you have no understanding of how long it has taken us to develop Port Explorer -- it uses technology developed for TDS4 and you will NOT find such technology in ANY other programs.

Opening your copy of CATS should be all the evidence you could ever need Wayne. You will find all the evidence you need of such technology in other programs. You copied from it so you should know!

The people of this forum are intelligent enough to see through your post, and we look forward to your sincere apology. I'll also be emailing the author of CATS to introduce myself, with a copy of your post. I'm sure he'll be just as surprised as we are.

You mean what you are saying is that you think that the people in this forum are stupid enough to believe yet another of your lies. I am only surprised that anyone trusts you anyway after backdooring your software and unethically stealing peoples e-mail addresses. However snakes like you slither out of most situations. You are going to e-mail the author of a program which you have never heard of? lol You owe the people who you stole these ideas from an apology Wayne! I do hope that when you mail them that they download and look at this program of yours as they will CLEARLY SEE the full extent of your copying.

All in all you have simply copied the FREE Active Ports program http://www.ntutility.com
    and then added some of the little extras in CATs. I see you didn't manage to do as good a copy of the lookup feature in your copy as the original in CATS.

CATS was by far a better product than TDS in many aspects but is no longer available for sale after the authors reportedly suffered a long series of mishaps including e-mail bombing a ddos attack which took the site offline for weeks and hundreds of fraud orders generating chargebacks and led to them shelving the project for the time being. They did however refund my money as they were unable to offer updates due to the ddos attacks. I was personally very sorry to see the tool withdrawn from sale because of these problems.

5. Wayne - DiamondCS

The last update to TDS3 was over a year ago. TDS4 is just around the corner but hasn't been released, so how can we "all of a sudden" give it new functionality/features without updating ito_O

You still haven't explained how we are able to copy features from a program that is new and nobody has even heard of. We searched google and found CATS listed on many sites, but virtually all of those sites have since delisted the program - why, I don't know. "securitycats.com" was only registered in August 2002, it's a new site, a new program that nobody has even heard of, developed by an author that apparently hasn't made a name for himself (according to search engines) - indeed I've never heard of him and I've been working in the anti-trojan industry since the beginning.

According to this google search, CATS v0.6.0 wasn't released until 9/1/2002 -- the latest update to TDS-3 is older than the first release of CATS, _how_ is it possible for us to copy their features when they didn't come into existance until this year? Your accusations are absurd.

Gavin finally was able to obtain a download on approximately the 30th site he tried -- why have just about all sites removed references to the program when it's so newo_O After installing it we're greeted with the fatal error message - "DLL not found - sysfrn32.dll". The DLL doesnt appear to be available for download anywhere on the web, so we can't even install CATS on any of our test machines let alone try it, and nobody else can either. Wouldn't a programmer have to be able to install a program if he wanted to even think about copying ito_O

"CopyCATS" (whoever you are - obviously youre trying to hide something), you're only here to cause disruption and spread lies. You STILL haven't put even a single hint of evidence on the slate, anybody could make the accusations you've made about any program but they're meaningless if you can't back them up -- you can't.

Kindly take your childish games elsewhere, we have business to do and customers to attend to.

6. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

"CATS" fails to detect the 2 most common trojans I could find in its database, SubSeven 2.1.4 DEFCON being the most stunning. It doesn't even detect trojans the database lists as being detected..

I smell a troll. It even has a list of trojans which looks extremely similar to one I have of a collection by a well known trojan user. Mostly VBS worms too, very small amount of detection (even if it worked!). The program looks like a trojan writer made it, it bears a huge resemblence to "InCommand" and other trojans written by the same team. It copies TDS greatly, considering TDS-2 had that console style look since before 1990..

It crashes the whole system when you try to do anything other than look at it.. no wonder it was pulled, it doesn't work.

A world map is not something it takes a genius to figure out to add :rolleyes:

I don't see CATS showing what process a port is being used by ?

Dont bother replying "CopyCats", I wont be reading any more of this

7. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Hi CopyCats, I'm not sure if you came here just to flame or to find answers? Since I am main programmer on Port Explorer I can tell that I have never heard of "CATS" until today. I only looked at one "Port to Process" mapper prior to starting Port Explorer and that was TCPView Professional, which was clearly the best "Port to Process" mapper at the time. I didn't look at it to steal ideas, but to see what I had to do to make the best "Port To Process" mapper anyone could use. If you download TCPView Professional and try it, then look at Port Explorer, you won't find any similarities, except we both offer Port to Process mapping.

Now as our beta testers can attest, Port Explorer BEGAN beta testing on the 1st of August. That beta test had everything the full version has today except the Whois client, some small features and a lot of bug fixing (as they can also attest ;) ) . Just because Port Explorer was officially released to the public this month, doesn't mean it hasn't been worked on for months.

I can't seem to run CATS on my machine so I can't really say if our features our similar as there are no screenshots of CATS either. Would you mind sending me some email with some screenshots or post them here? If you were trying to be objective "CopyCATS" I don't think you would of just assumed we copied CATS. You seem highly upset over a product that you can't even use anymore, which seems to me you have some sort of vested interest in CATS, but that does not matter to me.

I think the point is do Port Explorer and CATS share similarities? I don't know, I can only tell you I didn't copy CATS or any other program when making Port Explorer.

-Jason-

8. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

I have been watching this thread and it is time to end this dispute.

Copy Cat: your posts are aggressive, abusive and without evidence. I insist you cease this manor of posting.

If you have grievances, you will email them WITH SUPPORTING EVIDENCE to me or to Paul Wilders. I require a working copy of this program you refer to, and I will need to have correspondence with the author. Failure to provide such rudimentary evidence will be grounds for dismissal of your claims.

The administration will investigate your claims to the best of our ability. You will respect the findings when they have been posted.

I have an ethical obligation to inform all that I did indeed receive the very first beta version of port explorer earlier this year, that I do own TDS-3 and wormguard, and that I have been a DCS moderator for wilderssecurity.com in the past.

I'll be the first to admit that doesn't make me look very unbiased ;) I do, however, give my word that I am taking your allegations seriously, as the integrity of this site is my main focus. If there is ANY possibility that port explorer was modeled after this cats app, I will post such with screen shots. The other possibility, that the reverse is true, will also be considered.

Until you have provided me or Paul Wilders with the information I request, this thread will be closed. It will be reopened with our findings when they are ready. Please do not start additional threads in the mean time or I will remove them without reading them.

Allan Holder
    unicron@wilderssecurity.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.