Dial up -v- Broadband?

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by AvianFlux, Apr 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AvianFlux

AvianFlux Registered Member

Here a list of advantages/features for Dial up:

First, dial up ISP's assign a new IP with each login; thwarting directed hack, DDoS attacks on fixed addresses.

Second, with dynamic IP's, greater anonymity/privacy is assured.

Third, the danger of remote censorship is limited; dynamic IP's are difficult if not impossible to single out and block.

Fourth, a dial up ISP can be accessed through any phone connection.

Fifth, monthly service is cheaper than broadband.

What advantages/features does broadband offer, besides a bigger pipe?

2. Wolfe

Wolfe Registered Member

Say again? I do know countless ISPs providing static IPs for those on dail up.

See my comment above.

Seems like turning things upside down. In case one plays by the rules there will be no reason in any way for censoring.

No arguement here :D

Not necessarely.

That's up to any individual user and user needs to decide. No offence, but I fail to see the usefulness from this question. In case you are a happy camper using dial up: fine. In case others choose otherwise: fine as well.

Wolfe

3. Sugabella

Sugabella Registered Member

I have Cable It's fast and easy love it . I can see movies, watch Video's like watching T.V

4. AvianFlux

One - Say again? I do know countless ISPs providing static IPs for those on dial up.

You do? Presumably, you also know countless ISPs which provide dynamic IPs. I'm sure many Wilders members and guests would welcome a short list of inexpensive, dynamic IP, ISP providers.

Two - See my comment above.

Dynamic IPs do accord greater security, anonymity, and privacy over static IPs.

Three - Seems like turning things upside down. In case one plays by the rules there will be no reason in any way for censoring.

Precisely the point. Who wants or needs to follow some unseen nerds arbitrary, subjective, censorious 'rules', you wouldn't give the time of day if you'd met them in person?

Four - No arguement here

We agree! :)

Five - Not necessarely

No. But normally, dial up is about a quarter to a third of the cost of a broadband connection. My dial up costs $10 a month.

"What advantages/features does broadband offer, besides a bigger pipe?"

That's up to any individual user and user needs to decide. No offence, but I fail to see the usefulness from this question. In case you are a happy camper using dial up: fine. In case others choose otherwise: fine as well.

No offense, but there's a great deal of significance, and usefulness from this question, for those whom place a high priority on net security, privacy, freedom, mobility, and access fees. There are a few trade offs to be made in exchange for that bigger pipe people may not fully appreciate until they're locked into a broadband contract.

AvianFlux

5. Wolfe

Wolfe Registered Member

Yes I do - and I even know various broadband ISPs providing a dynamic IP. As for your question: a) choosing an ISP is an individual matter and this is a board having members/visitors from China, USA, Europe - you name them. Such a 'shortlist' is in fact a no go for that reason. We are by no means entitled or see it as our 'mission' to jump into this issue.

If you say so. As for security: static of dynamic IP: bottom line is, making sure you have your fences up and running. Use a router for example. As for anonymity and privacy: It's no big deal to contact any ISP (keeping logs all the way) and get all the info needed if necessary.

You are kidding me here, right? All of us are free to go where ever we like. At times, one has to decide: joining a board/community and playing by the rules - or stay away from it. That's all there's to it, period.

Yup.

It all depends on location. I do know countries offering (bandwidth-limited) deals for one and the same costs.

I do disagree on all points mentioned. That said: I for one am a firm believer in freedom of choice. Thus: you'll take the dial up route - others go for broadband. No harm in that in any way.

Wolfe

6. AvianFlux

While I disagree with most of your opinions on 'Dial up -v- Broadband', Wolfe, they were much appreciated.

As for anonymity and privacy: It's no big deal to contact any ISP (keeping logs all the way) and get all the info needed if necessary.

That cannot be true. If it were so easy, than why does my ISP give me strict assurances my account information will not shared or sold to any outside parties/affiliates, and is kept confidential?

The only way for anyone to get at that information - legally - is with a police state issued search warrant.

AvianFlux :)

7. Icewind

Icewind Registered Member

Really, it depends on what plan you get and what provider you have.

I prefer to use dial-up not because of the slow 33.6/46.6kbps TCP/IP connection, but because you have unlimited downloads and hours.

$99.95 for 3 months access (unlimited hours, unlimited downloads)
    *Hours limited to 5 hours when phone lines are busy.
    (IPrimus Pre-Paid)

See, usually if you buy broadband, you have to pay for setup costs (about $600), an ADSL router ($1000), monthly pre-paid costs if you are on pre-paid ($29.95), usage fees (usually capped at 20c per MB of download and only 200MB worth of download for 3 months access) and monthly line rental (about $49.95).
    So that's $1719.90 all up! (256/512kbps connection)
    *Hours capped per MB usage.
    (Telstra Bigpond Broadband Pre-Paid)

So, that's why I'm on dial-up, and I am probably not going to change. :p

Davo. :)

Please note: The prices are estimates of what I remember from these two plans.

8. AvianFlux

I only pay $10 a month for unlimited access, 24/7. No UL/DL limits, or time tables.

$99 for three months?! :eek: Is that the best offer you could find in your area? That's expensive dial up service. Around here you can get DSL for around the same price.

There's nothing wrong with dial up for most net activities. In fact, as I've illustrated above, there are quite a few inherent advantages over broadband. :)

AvianFlux

Last edited: Apr 3, 2005
  9. slammer_JvA

slammer_JvA Registered Member

Below sea-level. Safe and sound behind our dikes:
    Not in 2005 anymore, you must be kidding!
    (I always thought Australia was upfront in telecom innovation?!)

Overhere in Holland the competition is so hard that for about $ 25.00 - $ 30.00 a month you can get quite a decent ADSL connection; FREE modem, NO set up costs.
    (I myself use cable for appr. $ 50.00 because of bandwith + unlimited DL capacity + there's still more bandwith-capacity available for the future)

Really, in these times you don't have to pay that much to get a good deal.

regards,
    slam

10. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Here in the US I pay about $60 a month for my broadband - that includes the cable modem and it also includes my TV cable. Everything is unlimited and lightning-fast. I've had dial-up before, starting with a 14k and going up to a 56... I honestly never found any of them anything but frustrating with disconnects, busy signals etc, but then I'm sure they've worked hard to make it more competitive by now. Anyway I'd never touch dialup again.

11. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

I can't believe those costs for BB.....Here in the UK I get full 512k (which actually comes in at 576k) connection speed 24/7...no limits, up or down, free connection and Modem plus two filters......15 Email address with Web mail......50Mb of Webspace all for £19.97 per month.....plus the fact that I use Tesco as my ISP (NTL really), I get Club-card points on my monthly payment...... :D ........AND excellent support is only an Email away..... ;)

Cochise, :cool:

12. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Here in Toronto i pay $100 a month for broadband and cable TV combined. Modem is also included. Combined upload and download bandwidth limit of 60 GB per month and terrible support. What more could u ask for.....

snowbound

13. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

I have ADSL via the phone company here (SBC Global). It's $24.65 per month for 1500/384, no caps on upload or download volume.

Since it uses PPPoE, it is very similar to dialup, except faster of course. (An ADSL PPPoE connection looks to your computer just like a dialup connection. The network connectoid you use to "dial" is identical to a dialup one except the act of connecting takes about 1 or 1.5 seconds instead of many seconds that dialup takes with all that syncing of the modem signals and all.)

PPPoE has the same properties described above. If I disconnect and reconnect I get a different IP address each time from a wide range of addresses in their pool.

Oh, and the monthly package also comes with unlimited dialup, with nation-wide access numbers so you can use it when you travel.

14. wildman

wildman Registered Member

:) Strictly due to economics, I am stuck with dial-up. I am told I have one of the best ISP's in the county, but still experience disconnects, and the download times, even with a down loader are anything but fast. The price for this is $46.50 for three months, the contact number is local. I am looking at getting DSL, however price is a major factor in this decision. The advantages, as I see them will hopefully be, faster downloads an no tyeing up of my phone line.

Thanks
    Wildman
    :doubt:

15. AvianFlux

That's the best of all worlds. Got high speed, anywhere connectivity, privacy, anonymity, security at a excellent monthly rate.

Can't beat that one with a stick, for sure! :D

16. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

Some noise from Westcoast Canada. :D I am on cable and would never go back to dial up. Here's the scoop here: No set up fees, got my modem for $20.00; have unlimited access and hours. There are 3 plans to choose from .. a] Lite speed which is faster than dial up but slower than high speed for $24.95/mo; b] high speed for $34.95/mo; c] and ultra speed for $49.95/mo. Then there are package deals with TV but I am on satellite so that's out. Anyway, support is very good and within reasonable time. Included in the cable server's software is a complete security package at no extra charge and includes:
    anti-virus
    firewall
    anti-spam
    parental controls
    spyware protection
    pop-up blocker
    constant software updates

New Zealand is much like Australia re costs - EXPENSIVE!!!! Few people can afford the high costs of high speed.

17. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

I'm on dial-up too, runs me about $17 Cdn monthly for unlimited with top-notch 24/7 phone support.

I plan on switching to DSL (with the same ISP) a.s.a.p. since the increase in monthly fee is a lot less than I'm currently paying for the second phone line which I can then get rid of. And the standard procedure here is dynamic IP with each fresh connection/login.

They've newly started also offering PPPoE service ("DSL lite"), but it's so little faster than a good v.92 dialup that I might as well go the whole route.

18. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

I agree Mike, after my return trip Downunder, I am trying Lite Speed and it is no better than dial up. Not worth the money as it takes forever to load a page. :mad: The only advantage I see, if that a phone line is not tied up. Other than that -- bah humbug!!

19. AvianFlux

Really? Is that a fact?

I've got v92 dial up. The only downside are large file transmittals (video clip footage). It can grow a little tedious at times.

20. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

DSL over here, included - but optional - free email/POP3 scanning, free virusscanner, free firewall, free antispam, free modem, no setup costs, no bandwidth cap, reasonable pricing:

regards,

paul

Attached Files:

21. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

Indeed! DSL over here (the Netherlands) as well, and I wouldn't have it any other way...

Attached Files:

22. AvianFlux

Hey, that big pipe may come in handy when and if you decide to download the entire contents of the U.S. Library of Congress. :D

23. TonyKlein

24. AvianFlux

...3.55 Mbps which means you can download at 454.91 KB/sec.... o_O

Oh, okay. So of the $50 bill they send every month means you only really need to pay $10 of it. Is that how that works?

25. TonyKlein

All I can tell you is that it's more than fast enough to serve my needs...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.