Dial-up super slow in USA in early morning hours

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by allizomeniz, Jul 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

My hours have recently changed and I find myself using the internet more often in the early morning hours (12a.m-3a.m. Central USA). I have dial-up and whenever I get online during the afternoon it's doable, usually around 3kbs. But in the early morning I'm lucky to get 600bps and it just sits there forever without doing anything. I've been testing it for a week now and the results are consistently the same. Can anyone tell me why this is and if anything can be done about it.

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Another dialup option. Propel

3. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

IMHO Dial up is old technology and just isn't practical any more since about 2001. If you don't want to watch a photo load over a ten minute time period, you should bite the bullet and get broadband any way you can get it to you. :cool:

4. allizomeniz

Believe me, I hate dial-up with a passion. It's never been a good option in my opinion. I've had high-speed before and it's tough being without it. But at 3kbs it's at least manageable. 600bps or less just isn't realistic. Where I live the only options are dial-up or wireless and wireless isn't really viable for me financially right now. All the towns around us have DSL except for the one spot where I live. :thumbd:

Thanks everyone. I'll look into the suggestions and report back. :)

5. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

Cricket offers 5gb limit/month dsl equivalent speeds for $40. Unlimited for 50.
    No contract, No background check.
    Check their coverage map if your in the USA.

6. allizomeniz

My ISP had Web Accelerator as an extra service so I decided to try it. I'm pretty impressed after using it for just a few hours. It's no good for antivirus updates and software downloads but as far as Web surfing it's darn good.

Thanks everyone, especially guest for that about.com article. That's what persuaded me to try the accelerator. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.