dhcp HOSTNAME DETECTIVE

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by dme1, Nov 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dme1

dme1 Registered Member

I have recently found a DHCP lease on my home router for a hostname of "detective" with a spoofed MAC address. I do have WLAN with basic WEP (128 bit) and changed very infrequently.

Does any1 know of any viruses, trojans or hacking tools that would obtain a DHCP lease for spoofed MAC address with hostame of detective, cos I'm flummoxedo_O

2. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Hi dme1

... and welcome to Wilders :)

Is this an unknown system that is connected to your wireless network?

There are tools available that could be used to monitor, crack and access your wireless/WEP.

Reagards,

CrazyM

3. dme1

dme1 Registered Member

Hi CrazyM and thx for welcome,
    Sorry I didn't explain my question very well :-

Is this an unknown system that is connected to your wireless network?
    Yes it is unknown, but after research on google it appears that others have also had a hostname of detective with spoofed mac address in their dhcp lease tables

There are tools available that could be used to monitor, crack and access your wireless/WEP
    Yes I realise there are WEP hacking tools, my question was more to do with the DHCP lease to hostname detective with spoofed MAC address.

My dilemma is that I have recently started playing with remote exploit Auditor tools without reading up first (silly me):oops:

So, because this DHCP lease issue has been seen elsewhere, my guess is that there is a tool or malware somewhere that has done this. Question is, have I done it inadvertently by playing with Auditor tools on my network (hopefully :) ) or has someone done it over my WLAN which means I have been WEP hacked (hopefully not:doubt: )

Hope that makes sense...

4. dme1

dme1 Registered Member

thanks to someone from another forum for pointing me towards windows 2003 server. When configuring a server to be the 1st domain controller in a new forest with a dns install w2003 does this dhcp stuff. So there is no malware responsible, unless you class w2003 as malware:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.