DFI Ultra D and Ti boot issues

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by sirj00, Jun 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sirj00

sirj00 Registered Member

Just put together top of the line rig, with all the bells and whistles.

I purchased True Image 2 nights ago and install the software.
    Made a backup cd like I was told to do. Removed the cd and rebooted.
    To my surprise, after reboot the bios would not detect my boot source.

I go into bios, hit f10 and reboot. Now it comes on without a hitch. I can
    reboot as many times as I want without a problem.
    Now I use shutdown, Turn on the machine once again and the problem reappears. Hit Del, go into bios hit F10 and reboot and once again I'm back running without a hitch.

I here nothing but great things about this software. Can someone please help
    with this annoying setback. Thank you.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello sirj00,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for your inconvenience.

Actually, that problem is hardly connected to Acronis True Image and even if it might seem that the problem appeared after creating the Acronis bootable CD it is almost surely just a coincidence.

We recommend you to try to update your BIOS.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

3. sirj00

sirj00 Registered Member

Irina thank you for your reply.

It is odd that I had no problems until the Ti 8 was installed.

I'm using nvraid, which Ti does not detect from what I have read in this forums.

I'm a crane tech consultant and first rule of troubleshooting is what you this last or what was changed that was different from before. In this case the common denominator was Ti 8.

Oh yes to your question, I'm using the latest bios. The computer was built over the weekend so it has very few programs installed.

Isn't there or wasn't there a problem with nvraid being recognized.

Anyway, enough beating a dead horse. If you think of something else that could remedy my situation please don't hesitate to respond.

Thank you, Jesus

4. Acronis Support

Hello Jesus,

First, let me please explain what is ment by "Acronis True Image doesn't support particular hardware". By saying that we imply that when you boot the computer with Acronis Bootable CD the device is not recognized by Acronis True Image only. This device should work with other applications (provided these applications support it), furthermore, Acronis True Image should work properly with it under Windows if Windows works with this device.

As for the boot problem, I do understand that the first possible reason you see is Acronis True Image because it was the latest change in the system. However, Acronis True Image is an application and cannot influence the boot sequence. Please examine your BIOS settings carefully. Also could you please let me know what is the purpose of F10 key during the boot up of your computer? These "hot keys" for boot process vary significantly between computer models and it is hard to remember everything.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

5. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

DFI Ultra and NVRAID?? I would say it's an nForce3 board with an Award BIOS, and that F10 = "Save BIOS Settings and Exit".

But since Jesus didn't change anything, it should not make any difference. Except ..... he has introduced a time delay and a soft reset. Perhaps the hard disk needs the extra time before it is recognized as a boot device?

Jesus - when you installed True Image, did you also create an Secure Zone? Did you install the Secure Zone Manager. If you did not, PLEASE DO NOT DO IT YET.

6. sirj00

sirj00 Registered Member

It is a nf4 ultra d.

f10 represents the save bios command.

I'm not trying to get anyone testy. This IS a forum for help CORRECT.

Some how after the Ti installation the problem started to occur.

Simply put: Turn comp on, it stays stuck at the very beggining trying to detect hard drives. It tells me to reconfigure my boot sequence but when I enter the bios nothing has changed so I just hit f10 to save and reboot.

Just like that the problem goes away until I phisically shut comp off. As long as I continue to reboot without shut in it down it's all dandy.

If you say is not Acronis software then sorry I used your time and I will continue thru other means to resolve my issue.

Thank you so much again.

7. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

Jesus, I don't think anyone here is getting testy - I know I am not. I apologize if my post sounded like that.

It might be an idea to change something non-essential in the BIOS, like disabling the on-board serial port and then save the new settings. Reboot, enable the serial port, and save the settings once more. Perhaps this will allow your boot settings to 'stick'.

If you want to test my delay-theory, try disabling the Quick Power-On Self Test. When you boot, the BIOS should take a lot longer testing your memory. If I am right, that will allow your hard disk more time to start up, and your PC should boot normally.

8. sirj00

sirj00 Registered Member

Minimax thank you, By all means I did not mean u in anyway or form.

I just thought support was a bit loud about there product. Since I did read another thread about someone else not being very happy with there product.

Anyway, back to the subject. When I installed Ti 8 it was very late at night
    When the install was done it ask for a reset and that's when it happen. I never got back into the comp to even open the Ti 8 program. Then yesterday
    when I got back to continue, that's when I started noticing when it booted correctly and when it did not.
    I will try all of your ideas and annotate the outcome.

I'm running 2- 74gb raptors in raid 0, which are plenty fast.
    I will also try reverting back before I install Ti to see if that makes a difference. Thanks for your help. Jesus

9. sirj00

sirj00 Registered Member

MiniMax after I posted the last post I went over to the DFI forums and it seems this particular problem is happenning to many DFI NF4 users.

So it seems that by luck my mobo problem occured right after I had installed Ti software, thus thinking that was the culprit I came here for help.

So the DFI seems to be the cause of my problem.

Again thanks Acronis support for responding so quickly and thank u also
    MiniMax.

10. Acronis Support

Hello sirj00,

We are always glad to see you on our Forum, If you have any questions concerning our software, please feel free to ask us. We will certainly inform you.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.