Detection rates going down... or not??

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by duijv023, Aug 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duijv023

duijv023 Registered Member

Hi guys,
    For some times now, I read the tests on http://www.av-comparatives.org

In those tests (proactive scanning), I see the (high) detection rates of NOD32 going down.
    OK, "we" are still overall winner, but a score of 58 % is a little low for an AV product which scored 80 / 90 % the last years.
    Can anyone give a comment on this? Is there a reason for?
    In that case I want version 3 to reach 80 90 % again ;-)

For the record: I am very satisfied with NOD32, but I want it to stay as good as it was/is now.

SO ESET: "keep up the good work!"

2. pykko

pykko Registered Member

the only "problem" is that those malwares appeared and that were used in the test were not fully covered by heuristics. ;)

ESET improved this month its AH twice so no need to worry. Besides, the other competitors which were close to it gave many FPs. It's far more easy to make an heuristic engine with dozens of FPs (which will result in high-detection rates also) rather than a strong heuristic engine like NOD's with few FPs and the highest detection rates. :thumb:

3. IBK

IBK AV Expert

do not look on the percentage, look at the rank or the reached level.
    as the test-set of the retrospective test varies each time, fluctuations are normal, what counts is the level. for being results in a proactive test, over e.g. 40% basic* proactive detection is excellent.

*: basic because when the malware finally reachs your PC the probability that the proactive rate is already much higher than three months ago is very high.

conclusion: the answer to your question would be -> no, they are not going down, they are still on the top.

4. biggerbyte

biggerbyte Registered Member

I've been reading in a bunch of forums that people are dumping NOD32 for the latest from Kaspersky. They are citing the very thing that you all are discussing here. I have not made the switch yet. It is a shame if all of these detection issues are for real. NOD used to be THE way to go for many reasons.

BB

5. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

What detection issues?
    Even if I had thought so before, the explanation by IBK was very clear
    (thanks IBK).

That said, none of my customers use NOD32 by force - they choose it themselves.

Cheers :)

6. mrtwolman

mrtwolman Eset Staff Account

Results depend strongly on the test set. The test set changes so do the results.

7. pykko

pykko Registered Member

Well, the only thing they probably don't like to ESET is that they're not answering to samples sent and sometimes they have a big delay in adding them while KAV answer to every submission and add them very fast.

But anyway, ESET is improving this submission service also I think. :doubt:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.