detection of TDL3 rootkit

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by Habakuck, Nov 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EraserHW

EraserHW Malware Expert

Definitely yes. Dropper needs administrator privileges to install the rootkit

2. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

http://www.prevx.com/blog/139/Tdss-rootkit-silently-owns-the-net.html
    That is a good question...

Is that a pointer to (re)introduce some granular controls; "Driver protection" ?.

Shouldn't PrevX be better than UAC ??

If there is no visible executable: ?? then the zeroday 'hole' in the cloud has been redefined and exploited.

Hey Marco: good to see you're still part of the team: making more enemies on a grand scale (taking out the bad guys again) :thumb: :D

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  3. EraserHW

EraserHW Malware Expert

Hi :)

Prevx and UAC are two totally different things: Prevx is a security software, UAC is a Windows feature used to limit administrator privileges to just specific user choosed applications. They can obviously coexist and I would never disable UAC in my system.

There's a visible executable: it's the dropper used to install the rootkit into the system, and it can be detected and blocked.

4. Habakuck

Habakuck Registered Member

I have one question Marco:

I am running PrevX with all settings at maximum. Will that provide any TDL3 dropper from installing the rootkit?

5. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Ya got that but as to "better" shouldn't Prevx be acting against every unknown file even with UAC on or off.

Hopefully this is not just semantics: even if 'UAC > allow' clicked, or running with Admin privileges: PrevX will stop some unknown ??

Why not include some more granular user initiated actions for detection of unknowns and/or block exes and/or 'phone homes'. ??

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.