Detection means crap, if it cant clean

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by trjam, Jul 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

If you detect malware before executing it, no harm is done. So the detection is what counts. Cleaning is of minor importance.

I do think that most forum úsers here don't rely on an AV to be able to disinfect malware. We rely on proactive measures like hips and virtualization to not get infected in the first place.
    And if we by get infected somehow, then we reformat or go back to a clean disk image if existing.

2. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well detection certanly has to be top priority because if you can detect it in the first place you don't have to clean anything (this especially goes to file infectors). But of course they also have to add cleaning routines (especially file infectors which are the most problematic and difficult to properly clean without completelly destroying use files).

3. pykko

pykko Registered Member

totally agreeing with you. :)
    Cleaning is important also but most of the time it is difficult to be make and you won't get satisfying results. Back up images are a better solution. And anyway, for widely spreade worms like W32\Jeefo or W32\Parite.B, etc most of the AVs have cleaning routines. :thumb:

4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I see the reasoning behid having the ability for both. Thanks for pointing this out to me. I have decided just to frigging go with Nod, as I always felt I would. But thanks for helping me understand all of this.

Hmmm? Mow I have a 3 year license for the Kaspersky 7 suite I dont need. Shame someone doesnt hae a 2 user license for Nod. Oh well.

5. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

I'm not so sure you will stay TWO years with the same AV.:D :p

6. Don johnson

Don johnson Registered Member

I think the ability of clean is very important,if you have infected with viking,I don't think delete is a good idea,clean is a good idea,nod32 has a good ability of clean,but it is not the best.I notice that norton and panda have the better ability of clean.

7. cello

cello Registered Member

Am I wrong, or certification for Avast! is missing on that ICSA page?

8. IBK

IBK AV Expert

9. cello

cello Registered Member

10. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

Have you noticed that in the Av-Test.org test 04-2007 the top 3 heuristics scanners got the top 3 bottom disinfection results? :rolleyes:

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

11. Don johnson

Don johnson Registered Member

:D :D :D All test results for reference.

12. Carver

Carver Registered Member

You have to detect the bugger first, the Deleted file can be replaced. Unless it is a integral part of the program (removal would mean that the program no longer functions), do you really want a program that sole purpose is to infect your computer

13. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I don't think people understand terminology properly.

Cleaning in fact means desinfection. This applies to file infectors only (and to prependers and appenders). It's a removal of virulent bits from original files and documents created by user (or by others and aren't malicious by default).

Cleaning that all of you refer to is simple removal of files that are either locked because they are running or because they have self protection mechanisms.

Second one is often problematic but can be solved by anyone at least a bit techy about Windows system. Desinfecting files infected by file infector virus can only be performed by antivirus that posseses such capability or by expert in programming and malware field. See the difference?

14. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

well on clean machines or fresh installs antivir would be the free antivirus program of choice since it's detection rates are top notch. however, if you're trying to clean a friends machine that's already hosed, then antivir (according to stories that it does a suboptimal job at cleaning) isn't going to cut it. i have read that avast and aol's antivirus program are pretty reliable when it comes to removing malware they detect. my question is : which does a better job at removing malware, avast or aol's antivirus?

15. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I can't agree on comment that AntiVir sucks at malware removal. From what i've seen in my personal test it did just as well as AOL AVS and avast!.

16. Miyagi

Miyagi Registered Member

What's the purpose of having an antivirus if you don't see the beauty of alerts? Not the crazy false positives type but something actually buried in your system? :gack:

When I first encountered a virus, it was a boot sector virus which was transferred via floppy from a computer lab. Had no idea what the hell boot sector virus was, but it was something transparent and not a file executing (.exe, .doc, etc...) virus. :cool:

With the massive amounts of malware produced everyday (av companies are already trying very hard to keep up), how can an av company spend more resource with disinfection? If it's a simple one, that's doable but complex viruses do become an overload in the ever tiring virus lab.

I, personally, prefer detection more than disinfection. If the heuristics are always improving with time, I don't care about the false positives. You have seen the AV comparatives reports. To achieve a perfect heuristic is almost like predicting our mother nature - weather, earthquakes, tsunamis, etc...

Even though Antivir might not be that good in their disinfection, they are top in detection. Thanks to Stefan and his heuristic team. They have demonstrated a great improvement! All the heuristic team in av companies drive the value and ability of an antivirus. ;)

17. mecute

mecute Registered Member

You say "an ounce of prevention, is worth a pound of cure."

Isnt it better if prevention is coupled with the best cure? :)

18. Firefighter

In theory yes. But so far it seems to be so like with car engines, either they have maximum torque or maximum horsepower in certain rpm:s, not both. If you can show quantitative test results where those best heuristics scanners were those best scanners to cure too, show me! :doubt:

So far I'm staying with those best cure scanners combined with those best detection overall and they must be free and trouble free = Avast. ;)

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2007
  19. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Regarding Avast and cleaning...
    I think that the VRDB in Avast is an excellent idea.;)
    "The aim of VRDB is to help when, despite all the security measures, a virus gets inside the computer and the files are infected. With the help of VRDB, it is possible to repair many infected files (return them exactly to their original state)."-from Avast help pages.

20. Firefighter

Yes, and the detection overall, there is nothing wrong with Avast, when only few payable av:s are better in OVERALL detection than the FREE Avast and all of these had some major bugs or malfunctions concerning my WinXP Home system.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

21. Diver

Diver Registered Member

While it is nice to be able to do a fresh install on an infected machine, it is not always possible. The original disks may be damaged or missing. There is also a cost factor if the owner of the machine can not do it him/herself. This is often the case with machines owned by teenagers.

Generally, I will clean a machine like that with successive installations of AV's that will run in a trial mode. That would include NOD32 (which has its limits) and ZASS for its KAV 6 engine. After that, AVG and Spybot S&D is what I will usually install and leave on the machine. Kids machines get infected for a variety of reasons, but they all seem to have expired AV's.

22. Long View

Long View Registered Member

I don't run any anti-virus or anti-spyware but if I did the problem would be gone following a reboot. Different machines currently running with Returnil, DeepFreeze6 and FD-ISR Frozen. If I ever did get infected I certainly wouldn't be happy trusting any program that I have seen to clean so would probably go for the re-install option, image restore in practice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.