Detecting a Keylogger?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by mastavic, Oct 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mastavic

mastavic Registered Member

Hello, a friend suspects that there is a keylogger on her computer so I am trying to help her. However, I do not know of any keylogger detectors, and it's difficult to trust all these sites I find on Google.com. Any recommendations?

Thanks,
    Victor Ly

2. HURST

HURST Registered Member

Welcome to Wilders!

I know a few years ago, when I had Spysweeper, it detected some keyloggers...don't know now, since I don't use that program anymore...

In the meantime, try using some keyscrambler... There is a Firefox extension called keyscrambler which protect your web passwords and logins.

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

You could try KL-Detector. Though you would need to remove the keylogger yourself.

You could also use an anti-spyware programs like SUPERAntiSpyware or AVG Anti-Spyware to detect/remove keyloggers.

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

SnoopFree privacy shield
    Online Armor

But I doubt that u can ever be sure that u have no keylogger so I will suggest a foramt.

5. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

if she has a keylogger now it may end back on her system after returning the pc to a clean machine, depending on her surfing and habits. She might be better installing some thing like KeyScrambler pro or premium http://www.qfxsoftware.com/ to prevent this recurring . if she loaded up some thing like Key Scrambler even b4 reformatt it may prevent the installed keylogger from obtaining the info,as KeyScrambler defeats keyloggers by encrypting your keystrokes at the keyboard driver level.

article on software vs hardware keyloggers http://www.spyreview.co.uk/2007/02/26/computer-security-software-vs-hardware-keyloggers/

Last edited: Oct 13, 2007
  6. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

Hello,

I have found HIPS such as SSM to be better at keylogger detection than dedicated anti-keylogger software such as Snoopfree.

You can evaluate them with AKLT :
    http://www.firewallleaktester.com/aklt.htm

Regards,
    gkweb.

7. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

I totally agree with Aigle. If I thought it was on my system I would nuke it.

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Provided she can easily understand keyboard hooks popups from HIPS.

9. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

If she can understand what to safely do with a zillion pop ups with a hips , especially SSM , then very good choice. Or if she is willing to go through a very large learning curve.
    I agree with aigle. a product like SSM would be the last piece of software i would recommend. In fact one rash click with a hips and you possibly have allowed a keylogger access.

10. gkweb

Hello,

On the orther side, SnoopFree for instance fails one screenshot test and one keylogging test (DirectX) from AKLT. Both tests work under a restricted account. I don't know any simple and easy to use product for a beginner, that detects all keylogging method.

Regards,
    gkweb.

11. Dogbiscuit

Dogbiscuit Guest

Would a keylogger show up in the Task Manager if running only as a limited user?

12. gkweb

Hello,

No need necessarily to hide, let's say the keylogger installs to D:\something\rundll32.exe, you will just see "rundll32.exe" in the task manager, and you won't notice the rogue one among the other legitimate ones.

The best is not to be infected in the first place, and as backup having security software to detect and block keyloggers. Except if you are constantly checking your task manager every second, you should be proactive instead of reactive.

Regards,
    gkweb.

13. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

Hello mastavic, the best way to start off is to download a few on-demand scanners such as the ones mentioned above and the free scanner at prevx.com. If they detect a keylogger than you know that one exists. After that if you do not find any positive results you can try System Safety Monitor (www.syssafety.com) or something similar to do it the hard way.

Another option would be to post a log of your computer in a forum that provides such services for free. One forum I know of is CastleCops (http://www.castlecops.com/f67-Hijackthis_Spyware_Viruses_Worms_Trojans_Oh_My.html).

Good luck, I hope you get this sorted.

14. evolutionbanjo

evolutionbanjo Registered Member

http://dewasoft.com/privacy/kldetector.htm

is KL-detector a credible, trustworthy application to find keyloggers?

does it come bundled with spyware or do any other bad things ?

how does it compare to any other free keylogger detectors?

~~thank you for your help, info and links to information =)

15. caspian

caspian Registered Member

That looks pretty interesting. They also have a product that blocks any type of keylogging......if there is one there. But I wonder if it would also block Keyscrambler from working?

16. LUSHER

LUSHER Registered Member

Just for fun I had being testing against Elite keylogger that takes active steps to hide their components.

It seems standard anti-rootkit methods (manual on demand) will find those. Gmer , rootkit revealer etc uncovered the hidden service, files etc. Not just standalones antirootkits but also buildin anti-rootkit capabilities of Avira antivirus, threatfire, bitdefender etc seem to do the trick.

For obvious reasons KL-detector doesn't detect Elite keylogger.

Also http://wiki.castlecops.com/Lists_of_freeware_antikeyloggers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.