"Detect Internet Connection" Update Feature

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by Kansenji, Jul 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kansenji

Kansenji Registered Member

I am a registered user of NOD 32 Antivirus, but have been trialing another security suite recently. That has a feature that should be copied by ESET & others. The feature is a selectable "Detect Internet Connection" update feature. This means that quietly, in the background, the programme detects an internet detection being started & updates automatically (& hourly thereafter until disconnected).

Most security programmes either bombard the user with popups warning of an inability to update due to no internet connection, or will only update at a set time period. So if (say) two hourly updates are selected, an attempt to update will take place after two hours whether or not an internet connection exists. This means that updates are missed during internet connections before two hours have passed and also between two and four hours (etc.). This is very annoying and has meant that I have turned off automatic updates in the past & felt the need to tediously manually update on connecting to the internet.

I find this "Detect Internet Connection" update feature invaluable. How about it, ESET?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2007
  2. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

I don't know. For me my broadband connection is always on whilst my PC is on and therefore there is always an internet connection available. I think the only time I lost a connection was when the BT Home Hub updated itself but that's very rare. Is this more to do with if you're still on dial-up?

3. Kansenji

Kansenji Registered Member

No, I think this applies to Broadband too. I have Broadband & am connected whenever my PC is running. however, I do not leave it running 24/7 due to the high electricity consumption it would incur and instead turn it on or off several times a day, sometimes for just a few minutes just to check for emails; thus making good use of the "Detect Internet Connection" Update Feature.

4. OMEGA_RAZER

OMEGA_RAZER Registered Member

For me anyway (dial-up) as soon as I connect it checks for an update and most times will find one and have never had a message while I was offline about not being able to find an update. You also don't need to turn off automatic updates to manualy update so you're being a bit counter productive that way and if you want it to update less than the (I think default) 1 hour you can change it in tools if I remember right...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.