details on quotas on backup locations?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by kronhead, Dec 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kronhead

kronhead Registered Member

I actually had no problems with this - I am using V10 also. I stopped using it because I got tired of fixing consolidation problems - I kept expanding my free space (reducing the allowed space for backups), but one thing or another (random large incremental backups) kept causing consolidation to fail. So I went to full backups.

I did only use location size quota - I did not change the other options from whatever they came up as. And, as I said it did work - but I have seen others report what you report ... I think I was using a dedicated logical disk volume - so that may be different from yours ... And my full backups are pruning OK, again using location size quota, and a dedicated volume.

Dan

2. Linesides

Linesides Registered Member

Correct to some extent, however you're taking what I said out of context. If I have multiple external hard drives, as I do, I can afford to take that slim chance the backup and the primary drive fails because I still have another backup from however many days ago I switched backup drives. This again was the same principle applied in the days of tape backup -- you had multiple tapes. Heck, external hard drives are getting to be as cheap as some of those expensive backup tapes I used to buy.

I'd rather buy several smaller external drives and have the ability to rotate one or more away from the premises for safety and security.

All I need is one lousy function -- erase the hard disk before backup if it gets too full. Or for that matter, erase all the incremental backups, leave the original backup in place and then erase the original backup when done.

But who cares! The real question is this: Why can't I take responsibility for managing these risks? Why is this such a big freakin' deal?

3. Giarc

Giarc Registered Member

I see what you are saying, however, I think when you configure a backup location it is generally considered to be a single folder on a particular hard drive, not a rotating set of backup drives. That's probably how the TI engineers are looking at it. The whole idea of having a backup location is to automatically manage the backup files in a particular folder.

The main point I was trying to make is that it should at least be possible to auto-delete obsolete backup files once a newer backup has been successfully made. It's like Acronis thinks everyone wants multiple restore points (as many as possible), and gives us no choice in the matter regardless of the potential problems (running out of disk space, failed consolidations).

When rotating multiple hard drives, or more commonly multiple DVD-RW disks, you are taking the file management functions more into your own hands. In this case, backup locations probably shouldn't even be used. I think there should be an option in the "Default backup options" under "Additional settings" to overwrite any previous backup file on removable media (including USB drives). This is a standard option on most backup programs. This overwrite option would not apply when using a backup location (where new backups are given a different file name), only to normal backups to a particular file. There would be no need to check any quota, the old file would simply be overwritten. Maybe that would work for you.

4. pagallery

pagallery Registered Member

I have just been referred to this thread by Acronis Support because I'm trying to work out how to get rid of old backups when quota full. I'm on ATI 11 Home and what is worrying me now is that when I go through the Schedule Task Wizard I don't get the following screen - sorry don't know how to make the image display

ie I only get the option to do a full backup, incremental backup 0r differential back up. No option to do a full backup after x incrementals.

How to you get that option to come up?

5. shieber

shieber Registered Member

YOu have to pick the target location fromunder the "Backup Locations" on the tree on the left pane in in the ATI task setup/Backup setup wizard. The same diretory name also appears farther down the tree (not as a subdirectory of Bcakup Locations) and if you pick that as the target, it won't be treated as a managed loaction where quotas are obeserved and won't give you the option about incs/diffs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.