Desperate - OS Selector problem

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by trhind, Sep 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trhind

trhind Registered Member

I downloaded the demo of the software. During install it asked if I wished to install OS selector, I said yes. It said it installed correctly and that I had to reboot. Well when it rebooted it said to reinstall os selector. Fortunately I had created a boot disk with the software during installation. Twice I have tried reinstalling the os selector, and it still fails on reboot.

The software won't give me the option of uninstalling os selector, as its grayed out.

This is not a good start to a demo as my main PC is now down, and I don't care to lose data and the many hours to reinstall the software.

It seems that others are having the same problem, perhaps a problem with this demo version.

Come on and respond customer support, you have a real problem here. No we aren't paying customers, and definitely won't be if you don't assist us.

2. trhind

trhind Registered Member

Thankfully I was able to repair it. I made a boot disk with system commander 7 from my laptop. I booted to the floppy and had system commander restore my boot record.

3. elvisio

elvisio Registered Member

I dont have system commander 7 did you purchase it? can i get it anywhere?
    I dont have a disk drive in my laptop how can i restore my other laptop that have the system problem as you.

please help :'(

4. CSDMagRed01

CSDMagRed01 Guest

Thanks for the hint for the fix. I am on my way to buy System Commander 7!

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Director Suite (http://www.acronis.com/products/diskdirector/).

Please accept our sincere apologies for your inconveniences.

In order to uninstall Acronis OS Selector please do the following:

Windows 95/98/ME – boot from Startup Disk and run "fdisk /mbr" command;
    Windows 2000/XP – boot from Installation Disc into Recovery Console and run "fixmbr" command.

Thank you.

--
    Best regards,
    Andrew Berezovsky

6. Buridan

Buridan Guest

I am having the same problem. I cannot boot into XP at all.

We can't boot from the installation disks because we can't even get into the bios to change the boot priority!!! I can't even get into safe mode

You need to provide a telephone number for people to call!!! Your lame responses to this widespread problem are absolutely irresponsible!!!

For everyone else with this problem contact me at ~snipped~ . I am contacting a class action lawyer to discuss options of filing a class action lawsuit.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2004
  7. Buridan

Buridan Guest

Since responses from this company are absolutely worthless, I found a site for creating a xp boot disk that works very well. It will allow you to get into XP through safe mode, last know config, etc.

By the way, Acronis software damages your Master Boot Record (mbr) and that's why everyone's having problems, so you'll have to fix that as well. This is done through the Recovery Consule from your XP installation CD.

Go to: http://www.xxcopy.com/xxcopy33.htm and follow the instructions. Obviously, you'll have to do this on another XP machine to create the boot disk.

Once you get into your desktop, delete the Acronis software and make sure you also remove the BOOTWIZ on the C:\ drive. You'll have to go into your folder options - tools\folder options\view - and check the "show hidden files and folders." This is the only way you can see the BOOTWIZ file. In the infinite wisdom of Acronis, this file isn't removed when you uninstall the program and if it's not removed, the problem keeps coming back.

Mod Note - ~removed vendor bashing comments along with solicitations - snap~

And finally, no I don't accept your insincere and hollow apologies for my inconveniences. I wasted a whole day trying to get my system back to normal because you don't take the time to test your products properly. You'll be hearing from me again.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2004
  8. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hi Buridan,

I have snipped out your email from Post #7 to prevent it's being harvested by spam bots.

I have also removed the sections noted above in italics from your Post #8. Please review our TOS. Vendor and/or product bashing, along with soliciting members to email you, will not be allowed. If you have questions regarding your Acronis product, you can email Acronis directly, post your questions here in the Acronis Support Forum, or join the forum here as a registered member and contact them by PM.

Regards,

snap

9. John Farrar

John Farrar Guest

I can understand frustrations with software and I have had my own problems with OS Selector as you can see from my thread further down. However, if you exercise a little patience you will find that Andrew will respond quite quickly to your problems.
    FWIW
    John

10. Buridan

Buridan Guest

John Farrar: Patience isn't the issue here - he gives the exact same cut and past response to virtually every query on this problem.

And when my laptop can't even boot into XP, I really don't have the luxury of waiting a few days for Andrew to give me the same response he's given every other post on this problem - it's day two by the way and his solution doesn't work. This problem is not simply some annoying glitch, it renders the computer worthless until you get access to another machine and figure out how to make a "working" boot disk. I wasted a whole day fixing this problem and it cost me money, and somehow I'm supposed to be willing to wait a few more days to get a hollow response?!

sanpdragin: yeah, you're right. I shouldn't have solicited people to email me, but I was and still am pissed, and wasn't kidding about legal action. Acronis is being blatantly irresponsible here and that is a fact and not bashing. Too many software companies are getting away with this type of irresponsibility and no one is doing anything about it.

By the way, I've emailed Acronis several times about this problem and haven't received a single response yet, not even an automated response. I guess I should just wait a little longer and continue to lose time and money for the sake of decency or patience or something like that - great business model.

11. Acronis Support

Hello Buridan,

I do understand your pain. And I do try to do all that I can in order to help our customers as soon as possible.

The most effective way to resolve a problem quickly is to contact support@acronis.com and send me a private message with your email address from which you have contacted us.

Thank you.

--
    Best regards,
    Andrew Berezovsky

12. I am having same problems as everyone.
    I launch acronis OS selector at boot. I chose by testing the SHUT DOWN button and what happens next... black screen on reboot.. many thanks for the BUGS ! Also all my cds for booting don't do anything. Still black screen.
    right now I use a labtop. I don't have a floppy disk in it. just because new pcs don't have anymore. I am going to find a USB floppy disk. Hoping that it will boot up from the USB.
    crossing fingers. will tell u asap.
    if you got an answer, please reply to me at foreigndesigner@yahoo.com

13. I can not boot from any usb device... :( it seems having detected the usb but it does not boot up with bootDisk xp pro... help !!!

14. Acronis Support

Hello foreigndesigner,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Multiboot Managing Software.

Please make sure you have set the CD drive as your first boot device in BIOS, then fix MBR using Recovery Console from Windows Installation CD as described above. This will uninstall Acronis OS Selector.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

15. woodworks

woodworks Guest

If you boot from a SATA or RAID hard drive installation and ALSO have an IDE hard drive(s), you need to disconnect (pull power plug) from the IDE hard drives for the FIXMBR to work properly from the Recovery Consol. Disconnect the IDE drives too, if you are trying to run the install/uninstall with the software.

Oversimplified, the IDE hard drives appear before the SATA hard drives or RAID array and the Recovery Console does not deal with the master boot record restore properly. There is a similar problem installing Windows on a RAID array, where you need to disconnect other IDE hard drives not part of the array.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.