Despairer to Joy

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by wildman, Jul 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wildman

wildman Registered Member

:mad: Well as you may have noticed the Wildman has not been here for a couple of days. My old computer bit the dust, caught a WORM I think and that was all she wrote. Took the WNSOCK32.DLL file and deleted it, I managed to get another copy but other things were tweaked by now. I could boot up in every mode except normal for some reason. Well the Wildman thought well thats the ball game. Well I have got one sweet Mrs. Wildman, mother-in-law and daughter, because between them they managed to purchase me another tower (A HP Pavilon Desk Top). This thing has much more capacity than my old machine an is Windows XP. I am back in business, have quiet a bit of work to do (trying to reload all my old favorites etc.) I also have installed AVG on this machine, an it appears to be working like a champ. I am upset however that I lost all the avatars that had been made for me. Well thats the short an sweet of it. If I missed any birthdays or congratulations, I apologize.

Thanks
    Wildman
    :'( :)

2. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

CAN'T BE HAVING THAT, WILDMAN!!

HERE'S THE ONE I DID FOR YOUR POSTS!

I AM SURE YOU WILL COME BACK TOMORROW AND FIND MOST OF THEM HERE!

WOW! A NEW PUTER - HEY? COOL!

HAVE FUN WITH IT!! :D

MARJA:cool:

Attached Files:

3. wildman

:D Well I have almost completed all the necessary stuff one must do when setting up a new computer, an have most of what I want now installed on this new machine.

Would like to know how to do a screen shot using Windows XP, haven't been able to figure that one out. HELP!

I will be checking ten-forward more frequently in the coming days, but for now I am about plum tuckered out, an the vision thing is really starting to get hard to control (that some times happens when I am tired).

Thanks (Happy 4th of July U.S.A.)
    Wildman
    :eek: ;) :p

4. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

Hey WM,
    Take a screenie using 'print screen' whichs stores it on the clipboard. You then need to paste it into 'paint', but it's a BMP file.
    You are far better to DL something like hoversnap http://www.snapfiles.com/screenshots/hoversnap.htm which you can set to store snapshots of any type/size to any folder you nominate.
    Cheers

5. bigbuck

6. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hey Wildman,

Congrats with your new PC !!!
    You surely have a very sweet Mrs. Wildman, mother-in-law and daughter ! :D

Enjoy your new PC (and take your time to secure it ;)).

Cheers, Jan.

7. wildman

:cool: Thanks guys. I am done messing now, an it's time to enjoy this new machine. It sure is allot faster than my old one. Done downloaded the capture thingy also (Thanks Bigbuck), looks easy enough to figure out. One more thing, if there is any way to get my Christmas Sam back, please let me know. I have installed the following security stuff on this machine: (1) AVG (2) Ad Aware and (3) Spyware Blaster., that's it an don't think I'll be messing with anything else in this category.

Thanks
    Wildman
    :rolleyes: :eek: :p

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Glad to see you have a new system Wildman! That is really good news. :D

9. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Wildman, please tell me you have at least a Firewall :eek:

Cheers :D

10. wildman

o_O Blackspear: Hi, do I really need one when I am on dial-up an close the connection upon going back to the desk top? If I do need one, what is a good (freeware) one?

Thanks
    Wildman
    *puppy* :eek:

11. Blackspear

I would say yes 100% of the time, others may disagree. It acts as a security guard between your PC and the internet, it blocks inbound, and advises of what wants to connect from your machine to the internet (outbound).

Grab the FREE version of ZoneAlarm from www.zonelabs.com be aware when installing it, they will still push the paid version at you.

Let us know how you go…

12. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Hi Wildman....

XP's own firewall is very good at blocking incoming, check to see if it's on, but I think XP does tha by default.

Start/Settings/Control Panel/Services...

Look for the 'INternet Connection Firewall' and see if it says 'Started' and 'Automatic'... if so, then you are fine.

If not, double click on that entry, you get the properties window, click 'Start' it will start up, then using the drop down menu, select Automatic... and OK that.

See pic. [mine is OFF, as have Kerio Personal Firewall myself]

Cheers, TAS

edit: PS, YES, I am of the opinion you need one, regardless... I am also on Dial-up but I have a great ISP and mine can be left running 24/7 without losing connection, although I select 'Stop all traffic' with mine when leaving the PC.

PS: yep, just saw Blackspears post also. :)

Attached Files:

• 070.GIF
      070.GIF
      File size:
      45.8 KB
      Views:
  13. wildman

:D Folks if you need a reason as to why Wilders is the damn best place to be, I think the information I have received from these individuals would be a good indication. Good information from great people!

Thanks guys Zone Alarm is now installed on this machine.

Thanks
    Wildman
    :D ;) :D :p

14. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Way to Go Wildman....Glad to hear your back on Song....ain't friends and Family a 'Wunnerful' thing........sometimes they sort of just creep up on you in your time of need eh?...............I suppose you must be doing something right my Friend if you have people like that surrounding you......Life is Good....Cochise wishes you and yours nothing but the Best....

Cochise, :cool:

15. Blackspear

The pleasure is ours Wildman, and it is good to see. Don't forget to tick the little box that says "remember this setting" when ZoneAlarm pops up with a known program such as "Outlook Express" (if you are using this for your emails), this way it won't bug you again when that program next accesses the internet.

May I encourage you also to take a look at Firefox http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ for safer browsing of the internet.

16. wildman

:) Again thanks everyone. I may some day switch to Firefox, but not until I have become very familiar with all the horns, bells and whistles on my "new" machine, I sure as hell do not want to mess up anything.

Thanks
    Wildman
    :D :cool: ;) :eek: :D :p

17. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Creature Wildman,
    You do not know how much I have wished for you a new machine. Because I know the new version of the AVG would not work on your old machine. I think I have that right don't I? Pretty sure I do. I felt bad for you as you said you could not afford a new machine due to circumstances. Glad family was able to come up with funds to help you out. I am very happy for you :) :) :) :) :) ;)

Looks like you got all the help you need right now getting it into Wilders tip top shape and secure. :cool: . I think your family just knew how much your Wilders friends meant to you. Give them a hug for me. :-* .

Glad to see you back, look forward to your postings see you around!! ;)

18. wildman

:) Oh yes the Wildman is once again a happy camper. This machine is one hell of allot better than my old one. Yes I have installed AVG, an it is working like a champ. Bigbuck: The HoverSnap thing does not want to stay unzipped for some reason so I deleted it. Do you know of another (freeware) perhaps *.exe rather than *.zip? If not I think I found the paint option an will give it a try if necessary. I did find some capture software but all of them are shareware and good for only a month. Perhaps the graphics efficients here at Wilder's have some suggestions? Once again thanks everyone and it is great to be with friends once again.

Thanks
    Wildman
    :D :cool: ;) :eek: :D

19. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

20. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Wildman, congrats on your new machine. I've gotten a new pc only twice in my life; there is nothing quite like it, yes, they are a headache to set everything up, but there is nothing quite like the thrill of seeing everything falling into place and working properly! HAVE FUN!

Acadia

21. bigbuck

Maybe you didn't extract it WM. Hoversnap really is an excellent little application. Have a look below and see if it helps.
    Cheers,
    Brad

Attached Files:

22. wildman

:) Thanks Bigbuck but I just couldn't get the bloody thing to operate correctly, so I went with the one provided by Ronjor's link, thus far it appears to be doing what it says it will do. I do however again thank you for your effort.

I continue to learn about this machine. I now have this saying "I have a Lexus machine, but still can only drive it on the WEB at a Moped speed".

P.S. My middle grandson (Mullet) sure does want us to bring back the rhyming game. Told him that perhaps when everyone returns from their various vacations an task that this thread may be brought back to life.

Thanks
    Wildman
    :cool: :rolleyes: :eek: :p

23. wildman

Hi Blackspear:

I looked at Firefox, an thought perhaps. Quickly changed my mind when I learned that there is apparently no easily installed spell checker available for it. Is this a correct assumption, or is there an easily installable spell checker for Firefox?

Thanks
    Wildman
    o_O

24. Blackspear

25. wildman

Thanks, I had already looked at this link. It has to many complicated steps to go through for me. If Firefox comes up with an easy to install spell checker I may give it a shot, but until then, I will stick with IE.

Told in the rhyme game about my experience with attempting a backup. Oh well one learns as they go. It wouldn't be so bad, but with dial-up the down loads are slower than my grandmother (she has been dead for over 40 years now). I am once again back in business an will be doing some more research before I attempt that task again.

I once again placed Zone Alarm, AVG, AdAware and SpyWare Blaster on my machine. Anyone have suggestions as to anything else I should install?

Thanks
    Wildman
    :cool: :D :eek: :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.