desktop weather or no desktop weather?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Saint Satin Stain, Nov 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saint Satin Stain

Saint Satin Stain Registered Member

Huntsville, AL and Greenwich Village, NYC
    I am on the holy quest for low impact on my system software and for absolutely necessary software or software so sexy I can't resist it. Example of the last is Say The Time, a talking clock with some of the sexiest female voices with American, Canadian, Australian, and British accents. There are male voices too. It synchs the clock, announces time, and the redundant calendar functions since I have Lightning addon in Thunderbird.

Do I need a desktop weather program? I have the weather on my MSN, Yahoo, iGoogle, and Myway pages. I felt, until I thought about it, that ease of access was a good reason, but I have to click an icon for desktop weather and for a browser. Each browser has one of my homepages with weather for my area on it. I don't like Weatherbug: the free has ads; the paid is still too intrusive. Plus one of my security apps doesn't like it. Some others aren't bad, but do I need another starting program, one that doesn't give me value all the time like a real time antimalware app?

I found a really low impact desktop search, fast, better than the mainstream, I believe, Locate32,
    http://www.locate32.net/

2. Boost

Boost Registered Member

bg5bl.jpg

You lookin for something like this?

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I use this in Vista with very little sys impact. Just click on the weather and it opens up for a seven day forcast

4. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

I used to have some icons on my desktop in XP, and I used to run some SideBar gadgets in Vista.

But I found that I spent so little time on my desktop that I removed all the icons and all the SideBar Gadgets. My desktop is now completely blank black.

I do run RocketDock (in autohide mode) and have the Vista TaskBar (in autohidemode also).

I have ForecastFox in FireFox on the MenuBar (with the HideMenuBar extension to autohide it) since I spend most of my time in FireFox, eMail, xplorer2, or PhotoShop.

5. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I use EarthBrowser,

EarthBrowser is the best weather software available for Windows i belive. Developed on the Adobe AIR platform. Wich means that it works on Macs as well.

But also >Weather Watcher Live< is a great little app.

If you are a weatherfreak like me then you will love these two apps :D

i'll add the links where to download as well.

http://www.earthbrowser.com/

http://www.singerscreations.com/

Cheers, SweX

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  6. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

7. Fontaine

Fontaine Registered Member

I'm wit AKAJohnDoe here...found I just never used most of the gadgets/icons and removed them. Got annoyed by the clutter and system resources being used. I think it's easier to just load a browser and click on a weather bookmark for a quick update.
    Cheers!

8. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

Even easier to press the ALT key to un-hide the forecast then press ALT again to hide it.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.