Desktop user controll program?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Zorbas, May 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zorbas

Zorbas Guest

Hi all

Some years ago I used a program I no longer remember the name of, but today I need that same functionality, and looking to find a program that can help me solve this challenge:

The program I used was able to (WIN2K) let me create a windows useraccount, and then customize almost EVERY DETAIL of what files, programs and folders that particular user had access to in his userspace.

If I wanted to, I could even let NOTEPAD be the ONLY program this user would see on his desktop, and the ONLY program he could use. I could restrict viewing and access to everyting I wanted, so this user could not browse windows explorer, could not get access to control panel, could not browse harddrives, could not see absolutely nothing else than the notepad icon on his desktop, and could not do absolutely nothing but opening NOTEPAD.

Now, I just used NotePad as an example here. What I really want to do is set very detailed userpermissions, and find this troublesome to do in windows itself, so I look to find a program that is actually designed to do such tasks.

I assume internet cafe owners and corporates often use such software to restrict what part of the desktop a user actually can see and/or control.

Any of you know where to find the best program for this task?

Regards
    Zorbas

2. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Is this not already possible in W2K? It's a lot of work, but I think you could.

3. Zorbas

Zorbas Guest

I just found something similar called WinControl at http://www.salfeld.com

It seem to have the functionality I wanted, and is very similar to the program I used before, but unfortunately....this WinControl only do half of what it says it will do. A good try of the author, but the software need to be better.

Anyone else seen other programs like WinControl, but better?

I have seached Tucows, Downloads, Pcmagazine, ZD and others without finding good alternatives, but I am sure they are out there somewhere.

The program I used some years ago was very proffessional, good solid software, but sad to say I don\t remember the name or where I found it.

Anyone else able to help?

4. Zorbas

Zorbas Guest

Are there any of you how know such a program?

5. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

There are almost two thousand programs here you might find what you need with a little looking.

6. Bizadi

Bizadi Registered Member

Zorbas,

You should possibly be wary of WinControl. PestPatrol calls it a Remote Administration Tool, or RAT, which is a Trojan that when run, provides an attacker with the capability of remotely controlling a machine via a ""client"" in the attacker's machine, and a ""server"" in the victim's machine.

See also this related thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.