Desktop Proxy

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by DougWD61, Feb 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DougWD61

DougWD61 Registered Member

Last night when I was shuttting down, I got a message that "Dedsktop Proxy" was not responding, "End now." You've all seen that, but I never installed a "desktop proxy" nor would I ever run one without explicitely starting and monitoring it myself.

I did a search, and "destop proxy" comes up as a Goolge item that you install. I would never install such software, so either I'm compromised, or it is some other inert function.

Whatever it is, can any of you give me some insight? Proxies running without my permission are a BIG nono.

Thanks
    PS--any files that I can search for to determine what software is installed as "desktop proxy" would be appreciated.

I'm running Spybot, Adaware, AVG Antivirus ver.7.0 and Sygate Firewall.

2. DougWD61

Forgot one thing. If this is Google, how did it get installed? I didn't do it.

3. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

Some more background info

http://www.projectcomputing.com/resources/desktopProxy/

4. DougWD61

I found the problem. It's a microsoft sub routine inherent in Explorer. Sometimes it gets confused and allows more than one instance of explorer to operate, which locks the subroutine (something like that) and casues the program to hang, and report "proxy desktop" is not responding. I had it backwards. It's proxy desktop. If you do a search, you'll find the MS knowledge base.

The wayt o stop it is to end all but one instance of exploere.exe--you will find at least two or more running. Also, you must uncheck "open in seperate process" in teh Exploere>view>options panel.

$hit, this reminds me of the old Win 3.1 days.

Thanks

5. IBO

IBO Guest

Love you Doug.
    Will those Win3.1 days ever really go, do you think?
    Not while Microsoppy's around!

6. Kluster

Kluster Guest

Thanks DougWD61

I saw this "Proxy Desktop" error and freaked.

You set my mind at ease.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.