Desktop Problem

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by jocumo, Feb 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jocumo

jocumo Registered Member

It may be a virus but I'm not sure. Anyways, all of the icons on my desktop of programs are no longer there and the start tab usually at the bottom of the screen is gone. Any time I try to drag something onto the desktop, it doesn't allow me to. Is there any way to mess with the settings to get it back to normal? Take into consideration, it doesn't even let me right click the desktop.

If I open up Task Manager and go to the processes tab, is explorer.exe doesn't open. When I hit enter, my computer tells me "This application has failed to start because WININET.dll was not found. Re-installing this application may fix this problem." I've already gone through 2 virus searches and found tons of infected object/cleaned them but my computer is still in the same condition.

I tried downloading the wininet.dll file at the following link.

http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?wininet

When I tried to install it, a message came up that said C:\DOCUMEN1\Owner\Locals1\Temp\wininet.zip couldn't be opened because the associated application doesn't exist. Change the association in your preferences.

What should I do now?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2006
  2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Hello and welcome to Wilders. :)

IMO the first thing u need to do is make sure your system is malware free. I would advise u to post a HijackThis log over at this site,

http://gladiator-antivirus.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10517

and the experts there will analyse your log and give u recommendations on any infections found.

snowbound

3. jocumo

jocumo Registered Member

Thank you very much. I only have 1 question. What is a HijackThis log and where can I download it?

4. snowbound

If u follow the instructions at the link i posted it will lead to a HJT download.

Here is a tutorial on HJT,

http://castlecops.com/HijackThis.html

Never fix check anything yourself with HJT. As i said let the experts give u recommendations on issues found.

snowbound

5. jocumo

jocumo Registered Member

Ok, thanks alot. You've really been a big help.

6. jocumo

jocumo Registered Member

The same thing happenned to me when I tried to download hijack this. It said

C:\DOCUMEN1\Owner\Locals1\Temp\wininet.zip

couldn't be opened because the associated application doesn't exist. Change the association in your preferences. I can't post a log without the ability to download. Any suggestions?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2006
  7. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

try downloading an archiver like 7-zip go to its preferences and associate it with zip files (this is only to fix ur zip opening problems)

8. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Hi jocumo......

OK, first, I need to be clear.

You cannot DOWNLOAD HJT zip file correct?

Just that in the next para you stated
    Anyhow, try this, but FIRST, go to Windows Explorer, and say in C:/ drive, create a new folder and call it, say hijackthis
    [You see, HiJackThis needs to be run from within a place in the system NOT from Desktop so you would have to do this part anyway in future, so may as well do it now.]

Now follow these steps. [This may/may not work, but you at least might be able to get it to download]

Go to the HJT download page
    Click to do the download
    When you get the prompt to download this file, click Yes/OK
    BUT, on the next window, it should ask you where to download to, so now you navigate to the new 'hijackthis' folder you created.

This is the important part. Dont just then click OK, change the EXTENSION of the file to a .txt [text] file, see if it will at least download to the new 'hijackthis' folder.

If it does, then rechange the extension .txt back to .zip [you will get a system argument, just click Yes/OK to it] and then right click on file, choose 'Open with....' and see if you can select Winzip [or whatever your normal program is]

Also you probably should check and see what ZIPS are associated with for opening.

Open Windows Explorer.
    Tools/Folder Options [gets a new window]
    Select 'File Types'
    Scroll until you find ZIP
    Click once to highlight

You should then see what ZIPS are associated with eg: Winzip or Compressed [zipped] Folders [inbuilt zip] I just forget as I have mine different

If not, click on 'CHANGE' button, gets a new window and select appropriate program in there.

See my pic [highlighted in green].... IGNORE my file association, I have Aladdin't StuffIt installed and have zips associated with that, but if you look at the right pic, you will see the Default 'Compressed [zipped] Folder' program.

If all of above fails, you could try to download a sep proggy as suggested by WSFuser then if works, post the log on the suggested forums.

Good Luck, TAS

Attached Files:

9. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Forgot.... you may need to make sure you change the 'Save as Type' in the Save window to 'All Files (*.*)' selction before changing the extension, as it may still give the extension of .zip in addition to the .txt you change to.

See Pic.

TAS

Attached Files:

10. jocumo

jocumo Registered Member

Thank you for your help everyone.

11. wingfoot

wingfoot Registered Member

hey im having that same problem
    did the HijackThis method work?

is there any other way I can fix it??

12. snowbound

Hello,

have u tried downloading and running HJT?

If not, it might be best to post a log over here,

http://gladiator-antivirus.com/forum...howtopic=10517

for expert analysis and possible malware removal.

snowbound

13. wingfoot

wingfoot Registered Member

14. snowbound

15. snowbound

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.