Desktop Icons out of order

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by m00nbl00d, Apr 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Hello folks,

A relative of mine handed me a computer running Windows Vista Home Premium SP1, properly updated, complaining that the icons are displayed out of order.

Normally, the icons should appear as Computer, User folder, Recycle Bin, etc. Now, it appears out of order.

I tried to fix this by deleting the icon's cache. No deal. I then tried to uncheck Auto Arrange, and place the icons as they should be, but, as soon as I check Auto Arrange again, they get out of order once more.

Now, I could let Auto Arrange unchecked, but, being checked shouldn't cause all this hassle. I have mine that way, and I never had problems. Works fine. It's the first time I see it happening.

Any ideas?

2. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Search .... "Save and Restore Desktop Icon Layout in Windows Vista" - howtogeek.com

3. m00nbl00d

Thanks for tip.

Fortunately, after a new attempt to restore the icons cache, it got solved.

Thanks anyway. Appreciate it.

4. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Though you're clear was that a hint of indecisiveness I sensed? Don't worry, @ 4.4kb's it's hardly this file.

Ramesh add's:

"I noticed a small glitch in this extension. When two files of the same name are present on the Desktop (one in the per-user Desktop and another file with the same name, from the All Users Desktop folder), the shell extension overlaps the two icons that have the same name, and leaves a blank space before the icon. Therefore, rename one of those two files if you can, when using the Layout.dll shell extension. As Windows Vista shows two desktop.ini files on the Desktop, you'll need to hide them or delete one of those desktop.ini files in order for the Layout.dll shell extension to work perfectly."

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/save-and-restore-desktop-icon-layout/

5. m00nbl00d

Actually, few moments after I asked for any tips here, I tried to reset the Icons Cache once more, but this time through cmd line.
    The first time I did it, I manually deleted it. I just wondering if doing it through cmd line would solve it, and it did.

So, resuming, I fixed it before seeing your suggestion. :)

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.