Desktop Computer Trouble

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by internet addict, Sep 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. internet addict

internet addict Registered Member

Hi guys. Just today my desktop computer has been acting up and takes forever to boot up and shut down. Everything I click on takes a minute or two to open up. My internet connection is working but when I try to open Mozilla Firefox all it does is keep loading and the homepage doesn't pop up right away. I did a full scan with Malwarebytes Free Edition and it didn't find any malicious items. But then I tried doing a full system scan with Bitdefender Free Edition and that won't work. It shows it isn't scanning any files at all with the real-time virus scan. Does this sound like a virus/trojan/horse/worm or a hard drive, motherboard, or desktop tower problem?

Basically the computer boots up and shuts down but takes several minutes before doing anything. Any suggestions?

2. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Run chkdsk, check the disk SMART parameters.

3. internet addict

I did try opening up chkdsk but even that wouldn't work.

What I find interesting is BD Free keeps showing that nothing has been scanned. The computer was working fine all day and night yesterday. Although, recently I have noticed it would take longer to shut down.

4. internet addict

If it isn't anything virus related then my only guess is the tower is going bad. Any advice would be appreciated.

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Disable Bitdefender and see if that helps. Antivirus programs can cause odd behavior if there is a bad definition or the program is corrupted. Doesn't mean its Bitdefender, just something to look at.

Under any circumstance, don't run two real time scanners at once no matter what anyone tells you.

Look at the last thing you did before the problem appeared.

What operating system are you running?

6. internet addict

Also if anyone could lead me to a good website that has decent deals on PC Towers that would be great. Just the desktop tower that comes with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

7. internet addict

I will try that and see if it helps.

I only use Malwarebytes for a second opinion. BD Free is my primary protection.

I am using Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

8. internet addict

My internet connection is working completely fine. So I don't understand what's going on.

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

How do you know your internet connection is fine?

10. internet addict

Well I'm online on my laptop.

As far as what I was doing last night before I noticed the computer act up today, was downloading music from websites, but I'd check each file with BD Free before opening them. No infections were found.

11. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Is your desktop computer new or older?

12. internet addict

Older, but around 7 or 8 months ago after the hard drive crashed, my brother took the tower to this guy who fixes computers to replace it. So he put in a used hard drive. Possibly that's the problem?

13. internet addict

a clean install, but a used hard disk drive

14. SweX

SweX Registered Member

So it is only the browser that is acting slow, and you can open programs at normal speed?

If I were you, I would uninstall BD Free completely, and then see if the slowdown is gone or not.

15. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

16. internet addict

Everything on the entire computer is slow. Opening programs, opening up the Start Menu, etc.

Shutting down takes close to a minute. When I click my account name to enter the password, there is a lag before being able to type in my password.

All this happened earlier today.

17. DerLuko

DerLuko Registered Member

it's your BD Free that is causing the problem. it seems like there was an update delivered today that extremely slows down all processes on your pc. i had the same problem on my machine today and the only way to solve it was to start windows in safe mode, uninstall bd free, reboot, then using the bitdefender uninstall tool and installing another av.

hope this helps...

18. SweX

SweX Registered Member

@DerLuko, thanks for the report :thumb: :)

19. internet addict

I may give this a try then if you also noticed the same problem with your machine. Thank you, DerLuko.

If you don't mind me asking, did your machine go back to normal after uninstalling BD Free?

20. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Yes as far as I read this it did...
    So get going with the uninstall and come back and say if things improved. :) You can always install BD Free again when Bitdefender officialy say that they have fixed whatever it is that is causing it.

Edit: and in the meantime until this is fixed by BD, you can always install a 30day fully functional trial of a paid for AV, or some of the other Free AV's that is available.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  21. internet addict

Ok so I uninstalled BD Free in Safe Mode and the computer is working normally again. I really didn't want to switch to another AV Program but I guess I'll have to for the moment.

22. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Great to hear that you got it sorted, hopefully a BD Rep will check in on Wilders later today and explain a thing or two about this :)

23. internet addict

Hopefully! I was really under the impression something was wrong with my computer. Great program but I don't ever want that happening again. In the meantime I'll be using a different AV.

24. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

BD reminds of Debian.

Great rep, people love 'em.

Installing either has given me nothing but trouble.

But I've sought out AVs that use BD engine & updates. First Roboscan & now Emsisoft (EAM). EAM works great for me.

Debian pretty much all distros use their repos.

So I view them both as great underneath but their implementation is terrible.

25. internet addict

I was relieved to hear my hard drive is alright and that BD Free caused the problem, but still, any good websites that offer decent deals on computer accessories besides newegg?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.