Desactivate Acronis Startup ?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by charlos, Jun 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. charlos

charlos Registered Member

Hello
    I do use Acronis True Image and it works very well !!! Thank you
    I have a back up that is in the Acronis Secure Zone located on my 2nd Hard Drive (slave) and Acronis Startup Recovery Manager is activated and works well during the boot. However as my 2nd Hard drive is quite old, I'm afraid that it will "die" one day or another. And the fact that Acronis Startup is activated makes that I can't have access to my PC if the 2nd Hard drive fails (I have simulated this by disconnecting my 2nd hard drive and it doens't write "Press F11......." on the screen during the boot. Instead it writes nothing and waits, waits, waits.... It doens't go further in the boot process). The possibility that I can see is to desactivate Acronis Startup during the boot and use the bootable CD in case of problem. But I didn't find how to do this. Can you help me ?
    Thanks

2. PaulB2005

PaulB2005 Registered Member

Pu the rescue cd in and boot up. It'll do the rest. Only problem is if the image is on the dead slave then what will you restore from?

3. charlos

Thanks. But I don't want to restore any image (I don't have any problem so far). I just want to desactivate Acronis Startup, so that if the slave hard disk is dead (the one on which I have the Acronis secure zone), I still will be able to boot on the master disk and work on my pc. Right now, if I disconnect the slave (simulate that it is dead), it waits something because (I guess) it doens't find the Acronis secure zone. So I would like to desactivate the automatic Acronis start up during the boot

4. Rik Bean

Rik Bean Registered Member

However, if you only have one copy of the backup, and that is unavailable, eg disk dies, you will be in trouble if you need to restore. I'd advise keeping a second copy, possibly on an external USB HD.

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Charlos,

Welcome to the wonderful world of the Acronis Startup Recovery Manager (SRM)!! This is really meant for people with only one hard drive and no means to boot the rescue media, either from floppies or a CD.

To get rid of the SRM, run TI and select "Remove Acronis Secure Zone" in the "Manage Acronis Secure Zone" Wizard . However, as this also deletes your image(s) in the Secure Zone (SZ), I recommend that you create a new image outside of the SZ first.

If you subsequently wish to use a SZ in order to, say, automatically manage the number of incremental images, then create a new one via the Manage Acronis Secure Zone Wizard. This time, however, make sure the SRM activation is changed to "Do not activate Acronis Startup Recovery Manager".

Regards

6. charlos

Thanks a lot for your reply, this will help me. However if I disactivate Acronis Startup Recovery Manager as you say, will I still be able to boot the PC using the bootable CD and restore my image in case of trouble ?
    Then could you tell me what are the advantages to create the image outside of the SZ ? And the advantages to create it inside ?
    Thank you

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello charlos,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

You will be able to restore the images using Acronis Bootable CD independently of whether you have Acronis Secure Zone or not. The main advantage of Acronis Secure Zone is that the images stored in it cannot be affected by virus, trojan or something like this. However, if the drive where Acronis Secure Zone is created fails the image may become corrupted (like any other file). Please note that you wont be able to copy the image from Acronis Secure Zone.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

8. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Yes, you will still be able to boot from the rescue CD and restore images. However, remember that when you remove the Secure Zone (in order to de-activate the Startup Recovery Manager) you will also delete any images that may currently be contained in it. Hence reason I suggested you create a new backup image outside the SZ prior to removing it.

Images will be visible to Windows programs and can therefore be moved, copied or deleted just like any other file.

Images will not be visible to Windows programs and therefore can't be moved, copied or deleted and will normally be safe from viruses or accidental deletion etc. In addition, to a certain extent, TI can automatically control the maximum number of images created within the SZ. Please read this <previous Acronis Support post for a detailed explanation>.

Regards

9. dld

dld Registered Member

1. ASZ should not be created on an external drive. See FAQ:Can I create an Acronis Secure Zone on an external drive?
    It is not recommended that you create Acronis Secure Zone on a detachable drive. If you activate Acronis Startup Recovery Manager and then for some reason disconnect the drive Acronis Secure Zone reside on, your computer may boot with a long delay or not boot at all. You will need either connect the drive with the Acronis Secure Zone back or fix the master boot record (MBR) if the MBR becomes corrupted or the drive is unavailable.
    2. ASZ cannot be shared on a network. This means you cannot access an image from a remote computer.
    3.The only way you can delete files in ASZ is by deleting ASZ itself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.