Deploying Issue with Universal

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by kjakemiller, Feb 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kjakemiller

kjakemiller Registered Member

recently bought true image and universal and I am trying to transition to a new server. Made the .tib file, and the boot disk. Booted to the disk on the new server successfully and transfered the data successfully... now I cant seem to reboot to Windows. Note the new server did not have anything on it (no OS). If I keep the "boot disk" in the CD rom.. it boots to the Acronis restore program. When do you take the "acronis boot disk out" and do I need to be using any of the Dell installation CDs? Help please

2. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

Naturally you have to remove the cd otherwise, as you have seen, the system will boot from the cd. When you say the system will not boot windows, what do you see when you try (with the cd removed). Does the bootup process stop at the same point every time? Are there any error messages?

3. kjakemiller

Thanks for your help. If I remove the boot disk and the server is re-booted, then it just keeps running a cycle of rebooting itself. It gets to the same point everytime, initialling the drivers (i believe it is a bios screen), then it just reboots itself.

4. Ralphie

When you were doing the Recovery process on the new server, did you get the option to add the drivers that were unique to the new server? To do this, of course, you would have had to have the drivers available on accessible media during the Recovery process.

5. kjakemiller

It never prompted me for the drivers. I have them and they were available however it never asked me for the drivers. I realize the instructions have a section about the drivers but it never prompted me to point to them on the CD rom. Is there any way to get to that point and make sure the correct drivers are installed? Should I start the whole process over and hope that it prompts me for the drivers this time? I appreciate your help.

Jake

6. DarrinZ

DarrinZ Registered Member

I'm in the same boat. I seem to have correctly created the boot CD because it says "Acronis True Image Server with Acronis Universal Restore" at the top of the screen. It goes through the usual prompts for selecting the image to restore, selecting the destination drive, etc. BUT NEVER PROMPTS FOR DRIVERS as others seem to suggest.

Of course, after the process is complete I get nothing but a BSOD - even in safe mode. I am still searching for a solution....

7. Ralphie

Hmmm ... that's odd about the drivers. I've only seen one instance of someone using the bootable CD with UR and there was a screen with the option of Adding drivers or NOT adding drivers. And you had to add them one at a time. Sorry I can't be of further help.

8. Robi

Robi Registered Member

kjakemiller,

as far as I have understood, you use TI server version.
    If you use the build 3854 this doesn't support the universal restore option.
    You have to ask acronis support for at least the build 3858 or later.

I've received the build 3858 from acronis support and this version
    ask's me about driver when I do a restore from a image.

regards robi

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello kjakemiller and DarrinZ,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Corporate Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please make sure you use the latest build of the corresponding version of Acronis True Image. To get access to updates you should first register your software. Don't forget to update all components (including Acronis Universal Restore) and recreate Acronis Bootable Rescue Media after updating.

Please make sure the image does not contain any dynamic disks, as Acronis Universal Restore does not support them.

Please note that you should get the window of the Restore Wizard which allows you to select "Use Acronis Universal Restore" or "Do not use Acronis Universal Restore" when you boot your computer from Acronis True Image Bootable CD created with Acronis Universal Restore plug-in installed (check the chapter "Using Acronis Universal Restore" of the respective Acronis True Image User's Guide for details).

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

Please do the following to collect Windows registry data from the target system (that is, the system to which the image was restored):
    - Boot the computer under consideration from Acronis Bootable Rescue Media;
    - Create files/folders backup of \Windows\System32\Config folder.

Please perform the same operation with the source system.

So, we need two Windows registry exports: from source system and from target system.

Please also create Acronis Report on the target machine the way described below:

- Download and run Acronis Report Utility;
    - Select the "Create Bootable Floppy" option;
    - Insert a blank floppy disk in the A: drive and proceed with creation of the bootable floppy;
    - Boot the computer from this diskette and wait for report creation process to finish;
    - Collect the report file from the floppy.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

10. kengranderson

kengranderson Registered Member

I am also in the same situation. I downloaded rev 3886 of True Image Workstation and the latest Universal Restore (as of 3/2/07).

I am trying to restore an image of a boot partition of an IDE system to a new (SATA) machne. I boot the restore CD I made and also get the menu option to use Universal Restore, but I never see any mention of it afterwards.

And after the restore, I get the endless reboot cycle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.