DEP Stopping WSA Installation

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by Dermot7, Nov 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

Decided to install WISE 2011 on other (Vista HP 32bit) laptop, since WSA didn't appear to be accepting license key as per : https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1972869&postcount=2

And sure enough, once WISE was installed and activated (without fuss albeit a lengthy install) with all updates enabled, it prompted to download and upgrade to WSAE. But when WSA tries to install I'm getting a message that DEP is stopping it, despite having DEP only enabled for basic Windows progs etc. Also, despite running as full admin it doesn't want to allow an exception for WSA.
    Now I'm at a loss, and seeking opinion/advice for possible solution, and wonder if only way is to stop DEP completely with an Elevated Command Prompt? And perhaps that might not be advisable. Thanks for any suggestions.

2. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

I wonder if it is because WSA is being executed from a browser from the WISE installation? Could you try saving it to disk directly and run it from there to see if that fixes it? I haven't heard of any cases of DEP blocking WSA but it shouldn't be as WSA doesn't execute data or parse files which can be exploited.

3. Dermot7

Thanks Joe, I'm just trying to run WSA from downloads folder, but thinking now that since the license activated OK, then it will probably work if I fully uninstall WISE now, and just clean-install WSA, perhaps?
    I'm inclined to think that what you said about browser might be a clue, since recall also that WRToolbar was downloaded and installed at same time as upgrade to WSA notification occured.
    Will do further investigation, but it's probably not a good idea to mess with DEP as haven't had any problem installing other apps.
    Thanks, will let you know what happens :)

4. STV0726

STV0726 Registered Member

I haven't had any DEP issues with Prevx 3 nor WSA and I have my DEP settings to "Opt Out," aka enforce it for ALL programs...just for your reference.

That's odd that you'd have that issue.

5. Dermot7

In the end I had to give up trying to get WSA onto this machine because of the DEP issue, which ultimately overrules all attempts.
    Also, got message saying license key had been re-issued, presumably to support WSA, but don't know where this new key might be, as it's not in account I created on other machine running closed beta, and also hasn't been emailed to me.
    I've got minidumps etc of the Windows Error reports, and guess the appropriate way forward would be through Webroot support, but haven't yet tried this, and haven't got a lot of time to spend on resolution at the moment.

6. Techfox1976

Techfox1976 Registered Member

The support team has a log utility that allows file "attachments". It's at download.webroot.com and called wsalogs.exe (Some URL assembly required), then clicking on the Advanced options text itself will give you those options, including file grab, which packages one file into an encrypted .7z inside the thing. That's probably how they'll ask you to get the dumps to them.

7. Dermot7

Thanks Techfox1976 ...yes I know the tool you mean, as I've used it on other machine during WSA beta testing, and you're right that that is easiest way for them to get info they need.
    I just kinda dropped Webroot on that laptop atm, since also had a bit of a time trying to get WISE uninstalled (tried Revo, appremover etc) and had to find tool from Webroot which finally got it off.
    In the meantime installed new MSE beta, OA free, and Prevx Safebook on it, and want to try it like that, at least for a couple of weeks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.