Denying cookies in browser- any problems?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by aigle, Feb 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Currently I have my main browsers FF and Opera set to "Accept all cookies" with clearing cookies on
    end of browser session( with some site specific exceptions). I am thinking to change this setting to
    "Don,t accept any cookies"( with some site specific exceptions). I want to ask

1- Is there any advantage of this over my previous settings?
    2- Am I going to loose any functionality by these new settings? Many site might not work etc?

Any suggestions? I know many users here might be using these settings.

2. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

No. Maybe 1-5% will not, but you can just allow temporary cookies on them.
    I block cookies for years and I never had any serious problem, just small ones.
    Some webpages use cookies to allow download, but I avoid those noob pages.
    If you would block referrers, it would cause a little more problems than cookies.

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks for the input.

4. MakoFusion

MakoFusion Registered Member

I've also followed this discipline for a number of years now. 'Whitelisting' your cookies is far better than taking hits between on-demand spyware scans. (tracking cookies) It also provides far better protection than any 'blacklist' could ever hope for. (tracking cookies section of SpywareBlaster)

I bet you hate going into that menu just to add a cookie every time.
    Currently I'm using 'Cookie Safe'
    https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2497/

Just simply go to a site and when you see you need a cookie just left click the icon in the status bar and pick a setting for that site.

Hint: session cookies for login sites & the temp allow option for those 1 or 2 dumb sites that TheTOM_SK speaks of. One really doesn't need cookies for much else nor do I even bother with the permanent setting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.