Demo Disabled Features

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by Dazed_and_Confused, Mar 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

I'm giving TDS3 as try. I see the on-demand scanning feature is enabled in the Demo version. But I get the impression the real-time protection that might keep trojans from installing themselves while you work is not enabled. Or did I miss something in the documentation? Isn't that what is referred to as Execution Protection? In other words, if your not going to do a on-demand scan, is there any benefit to keeping the program loaded into memory?

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hello Dazed,
    did you read the TDS site and info there? You should have seen in the evaluation version there are some functionality restriction, among which exec protection you can't install till you registered the software.
    TDS is a very nice addition to other scanners you have running and does lots more, it's a whole suite of tools to work on your system and with the scripting you can even add more functionallity if wanted.
    The next generation in the build will please you even more, like the Active Guard as resident scanner.
    Registered TDS-3 users are eligle for an upgrade to one of the TDS-4 products for free, so nothing to lose.

3. Dazed_and_Confused

I definately going to register assuming I find no problems. What I want to know if the app offers any real-time protection, or just on-demand scanning. I did see the web site and the statement about some features being disabled - but it didn't say what features are disabled. And if the app does offer real-time scanning, and it's disabled in the demo, then I can't really see what impact the app will have on my dinosaur PC.

4. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

TDS-3 is more an on demand scanner; the resident part is exec protection examining each file before it can be executed, which is more a kind of hook sitting in the background itself not taking any resources till needed for that instant check.
    Further you can't update via the menu option but only manually via the update website, and you can't run scripts larger then 5 kb.
    Sio you can have a rather good impression of the functionallity on your system in the meantime.
    The coming Active Guard from the TDS-4 families will work nicely together and is the resident protection you are also looking for.
    Mind you, registered TDS-3 users are eligle for a free upgrade with one of the TDS-4 products to your own choice, so that's a nice deal!

Dinosaur pc? how much RAM and which windows version are you using, enough diskspace and such?
    It does not run on windows 3.1, but above that and yes, minimum 64 mb RAM and some 20 (?? not sure) mb disk space should work.

5. Dazed_and_Confused

Running Win2K on machine with 333Mhz processor, 256K RAM.

6. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

should not be a problem; can't rebember if i ever tried it on a 486 win98 24mb ram thing, guess not; P100 64 ram w95 should be the minimum i guess.
    but on P166 win me 40 ram it's tested and running without any problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.