Dell PE2650/PERC4Di/Raid5/Sys Partition

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by ctcmptrdr, Sep 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ctcmptrdr

ctcmptrdr Registered Member

Hi,

I've inherited a Dell PowerEdge 2650 Windows 2000 server that is configured with (3) 36gb drives in a RAID5 configuration using a PERC 4/Di controller, Single partition. The array/partition is running out of space. A 4th drive has been installed, and I expanded the array using Dell's Array manager. I now need to expand the system partition to make the added free space part of the system partition. This is our MS SQL 2000 database server used by our ERP system, I'm about 1,200 miles away, and want to make sure that I'm not going to miss something that will cause the process to fail. :rolleyes:

I've installed the Disk Director v9 suite onto the server. It sees the available free space and appears ready to allow me to expand the system partition. Here's what I plan to do next weekend, after making a backup of the server to tape, and making a backup of the database from within SQL to another server -

1 - reboot server (just for luck :) )
    2 - stop MS SQL service
    3 - stop Symantec Antivirus corp edition v9
    4 - run Disk Director and expand the system partition
    5 - reboot
    6 - defrag the drive
    7 - restart the SQL and antivirus services

Does anyone have any suggestions on anything else that I should do? I've used Partition Magic/Server Magic before, but this is my first experience with Disk Director.

Thanks very much.

John

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello John,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Partition and Disk Managing Software.

Yes, you can make resize of the system partition with Acronis Disk Director for that you can run Acronis Disk Director and expand the partition without performing 1,2,3,6,7 steps. We recommend you to create a backup of your data before resizing.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

3. ctcmptrdr

Thank you. I'll be giving it a try this coming weekend.

John

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello John,

If you have any questions concerning our software, please feel free to ask us.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

5. woodie22

woodie22 Guest

John

I have an almost identical senario (on a Dell)......

How did it go?

Cheers

6. ctcmptrdr

It worked fine. I connected to the server using remote desktop software (Remote Administrator), disabled Symantec Antivirus, and ran it. Took < 5 minutes.

John

7. woodie22

woodie22 Guest

Many thanks for the reply so many people don't bother....I'll give it a go (after backup of course)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.