Dell - "Notebook System Software"

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Firebytes, Feb 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

Does anyone here have any experience with Dell's "Notebook System Software"? I am not very familiar with it but it shows up in my possible updates on Dell's site. I do have the info from their site and have done some research on the web which wasn't very helpful. From Dell's site:

Notebook System Software (NSS) is a utility that provides critical updates and patches for your operating system. Install the NSS program to gain support for Dell 3.5-inch USB floppy drives, Intel Pentium-M processors, CD-ROM/CD-RW/DVD drives, Infrared (IR) communications, and USB devices. NSS is necessary for correct operation of your Dell portable computer, including the Dell D/Bay, D/Dock, D/Port, and D/View family of docking devices. NSS automatically detects your computer and operating system and installs the updates appropriate for your configuration.

Question - Do I need it? (I have read "yes, it's needed" and "no, it's only bloatware" depending on the site I visit.)

Second question - How exactly does it function? (I have read that it runs only once and applies updates possibly not offered on Windows Update's main site and I have read that it runs continually in the background as a service and periodically checks for updates.)

I was just hoping someone here could give me some more information. Thanks.

2. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

The official dell support states that notebook system software should be the first thing installed after a fresh install of windows. Personally i don't notice any difference if its installed or not, it doesn't seem to cause me any trouble so i just install it anyway.

3. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

I have a pretty new laptop (about six months old) and it did not come with "Notebook System Software" installed; as far as I can tell anyway. I am certainly not going to do a fresh install of Windows just to put this software on my system. I have read accounts of others installing this software after all other software and having no problems with it though.

What I can't seem to find anywhere though is exactly what this software does. Yes, I know it is supposed to check for hardware incompatibilities and download some updates. What I can't find is information on how it accomplishes this. I don't know if it installs a service and runs in the background continually and periodically checks for updates, etc, as some have said or if it only runs once as others have stated. Dell's own website doesn't provide much information.

I don't mind installing it if it is helpful and only runs once, or when I call on it, but I don't know that I want another service running all the time. If you have it installed farmerlee can you check if it has any processes running in the background?

Thanks

4. Ragzarok

Ragzarok Registered Member

Hello,
    I would venture to guess that it isn't necessary. I usually wipe software that manufacturers install onto the laptop. The only thing I can think of in terms of "needed" software would be for media control buttons on the laptop if it has them.

5. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

I have Latitude D820 and never installed NSS. My first job after getting computer is reformatting, repartitioning and reinstall os with not oem disc.

6. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I have an older inspiron 6400 which i never installed NSS on and it didn't seem to cause any problems. I also have a newer inspiron 1520 which i have installed it on however i can't see any difference if its installed or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.